Chapter 14

Nico's POV

I went back in my office and sat down at my desk. I know I should be doing some work but I literally found myself thinking back to when I first met Jaya.  I had been talking to Sherry, who I now have realized has some beef with damn near every fucking woman with any kind of higher position. I am not a fan of that because it's catty and immature. The hospital is for saving lives, bringing life into the world, fixing problems, not this bullshit. But anyway.....

"So Dr. Nico," Sherry purred, "I called Nurse Jaya to meet us up here so I can introduce you two before your surgery together." I caught onto how her face scrunched up a bit at Jaya's name which threw me off a little. What the fuck was wrong with this nurse and if she garnered this kind of negative attention then I don't want to work with her. I need positive energy in the delivery room, the last thing anybody needs in there is a negative aura. I thought to myself not satisfied at all by the situation. I also was not a fan of how hard Sherry was flirting with me. The woman had no shame. I tried to hide my discomfort but I wasn't sure I was doing a good job and I had a good poker face. 

"Okay, I look forward to meeting her and getting this surgery on the road." I kept a calm voice and gave her a smile I knew didn't reach my eyes. 

"This little bitch," I heard Sherry mumble under her breath. I gave her an incredulous look, what the heck is going on around here. This lady is unprofessional as shit. I watched her walk up to the most beautiful woman I had seen in a very long time. She had beautifully smooth brown skin, her long silky black hair was pulled up into a neat bun, and even in her scrubs her body looked amazing. I couldn't see her face because she was buried in a patient's charts. I followed behind Sherry because I couldn't resist seeing what the hell brought on that unprofessional slip of the tongue and maybe sneak in an introduction. 

Sherry rudely cleared her throat. I watched the beauty ignore her and it took a lot for me not to let out the laugh I was holding in. This place was full of nonsense I could see. 

"Jaya," Sherry said with an attitude. "Did you not hear me?" So this beautiful woman is Jaya?! Holy shit, I was a little more excited about tonight. She looked so focus on the chart she was reading and that type of focus only came from truly loving your job. It was captivating.

Jaya looked up and smiled a beautiful smile. My breath hitched as I looked at her beautifully brown eyes and loved how those pearly whites were on display. Her sexy full lips looked so soft and kissable. Nico get it together, you don't even know this woman!! Besides didn't Sherry just blatantly call her a bitch?

"Did you call my name more than once?" She asked in an angelic voice. I could easily see she was being an undercover asshole but it was still sexy. I might need to get my head checked. I just stared at her and took notice to how she never once looked my way. Kinda hurt my ego but hey, she initially looked engrossed in the patient, who I assume is the mother we will be operating on tonight. So I couldn't be too upset about it. My staring was interrupted when Sherry's constant attitude with her began once again. 

Sherry rolled her eyes, "no I didn't, but I clearly tried to get your attention." I looked back and forth between them with what could only be a 'why the fuck is this happening' look. What kind of back story did these ladies have? I decided it was time to intervene in this ridiculousness so I decided now was the time to make myself known.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Montanari." I held out my hand and waited for her to take part in this introduction. That she did and with a good grip. Her hand was nice and soft despite us always having to wash our hands resulting in majority dry skin.

"Jaya Raj.... your charge nurse for tonight." So professional, I could tell she had some kind of a sense of humor from her encounter with Sherry but that was long gone at the moment. I hope she's not a stick in the mud while we're working, that will be such a drag.