Chapter 22

The rest of the night went as good as it could. I kept my mind off the following work day and just enjoyed my time with Luca. We watched a little TV and cuddled until we fell asleep. Not eventful but serene. The next morning I was so tired from that emotionally traumatizing dinner that I unfortunately slept through Luca's alarm and his departure. I woke up to a text message from him. 

LUCA MY LOVE: Hey baby, you were out cold and I didn't want to wake you to say goodbye. I sadly didn't get my goodbye kiss which will have to be rectified and soon, but anyway I hope you have an amazing time at work and I love you very much. Oh, and if you see my dad tell him I said hey and to keep a protective eye on you lol. See you after your shift. Miss you already. 

I smiled until I got to the part about Nico but I was going to have to face the music at some point and the hour was definitely approaching. I sighed and sent him a heart emoji back and got up to make some breakfast. I enjoyed my omelet and watched some Supernatural to get my mind off of everything and get a few laughs in while oogling Dean. I somehow had fallen asleep until my phone woke me up alerting me of a text message.

UNKNOWN: I know we have to work together today and as much as I'd like to sever those ties I know it won't look good for either of us and despite being played like a fool I won't interrupt your future and internship, I'm not that kind of guy. So I will do my best not to publicly show my distaste for your actions. I will see you in the operating room, you no longer need to come to my office anymore. Thanks

I read his message several times and each time I felt worse. Not being in his presence and being angry with him even though I'm the only one in the wrong at this point has me seeing clearly and I hurt him. I don't want him to think I was playing him for a fool because I don't think he's a fool. I'm the fool. I'm the selfish one here and yet I was talking to him as if he knew what I had going on, like he knew I had a man, said man now being my fiancé. I don't know what to say so I say the only the I know I truly feel right now. 

ME: I'm sorry.

He doesn't respond which isn't surprising but it does sting a bit to be honest but I have to let it go. I realized that it was time to start getting ready and I was so tense with the realization that today is going to suck big time. I thought about Saraj and how she was going to flip out once I told her what happened. I didn't have the energy to get into it earlier but it might help me to talk about it before I have to see him. 

ME: Girl... we need to talk as soon as we get to work.

SARAJ: Trouble in paradise?

ME: You'll never guess. I'll see you soon. 

SARAJ: Oh wow, okay. 

I went to take a shower and couldn't enjoy it at all because my thoughts had taken over. I was so engrossed in my dread that I had taken a shower, dried off, and lotioned up on auto pilot. I got dressed and left my hair in a messy bun. I put on light makeup and called it a day and headed to the subway parking lot to take the train. Saraj pulled up right as I was getting out of my car and soon as she saw me she rushed over. I took a deep breath and let it out to get ready to divulge in the bullshit called my love life. 

"Girl! What the hell is going on?" She looked truly concerned and worried. 

I was thinking about how to start this and where to even begin, "So we went to meet Luca's dad." I said very solemnly as we walked towards the train. 

She let out a sigh of relief, "girl that's all? I thought something crazy happened! Did he not like you or something? Do I need to call this man?" She said with her usual attitude which made me smile but little did she know she already knew this man.