Chapter 31(A)

"Hey babe." I whispered kissing Luca's cheek as I climbed into bed. A hello groggily escaped his lips as he wrapped his arms around me.

"How....was work?" he asked against my ear.

An image of me riding Nico popped in my head. I turned around facing him and scooted closer, "you know...mostly uneventful." I lied.

He yawned, "mostly?"

"well...Sherry stopped by after I had surgery."

"Ahh...the wicked witch." he said as I laughed, "she finished ruining the west yet?"

"Almost...she told me some good and bad news." Even though I hated doing it, I figured a little white lie would work best in this situation. He opened his eyes blinking them a few times to focus on me. I sighed feeling bad for lying, but it was better than the truth.

"Which do you wanna hit me with first?" He asked his voice sounding a little stronger than it last was.

I sighed pretending to think, "the good. She said I was gonna be recognized for my hard work in my internships with my mentor at an awards ceremony."

He yawned again as he stretched, "that's great babe...what's the bad news?"

"It's next week and it'll be all weekend."

I didn't hear him say anything so I looked up to see him watching me. "How is that bad news? I mean that sucks you'll be in and out of the house, but I mean things happen..."

"Actually it's not in New York." I interrupted.

"What?" he looked at me confused.

"yea...It's at some medical conference somewhere with my mentor."

He arched an eyebrow "Somewhere...so you mean to tell me you don't even know where it's at?"

"Sherry just told me last night. I barely had time to register what she said. Apparently it's all inclusive flight and hotel's paid for." I quickly added knowing he was going to be asking that next.

He watched me a little wearily.

"but you didn't get any of the travel info yet?"

"babe," I nervously chuckled trying to put his mind at ease, "it's Sherry we're talking about here. You know she would wait until the minute before my flight leaves to send me that stuff. Apparently the Committee and the top Administrators had already ok'd me going. She's just a bitter bitch who doesn't like the fact that I'm about to be promoted and tries to pull every little string she can to make my life a living hell."

He chuckled, "I know. It's just...a lot to take in at-" he looked at the alarm clock "7:15 in the morning."

"don't worry about it then. Just go back to sleep and once I get the info I'll let you know."

He slowly nodded as he leaned forward and kissed me on the lips, "ok...love you." he said yawning once more as he closed his eyes.

A nervous feeling hit me "love you too." I quickly mumbled as I laid back down beside him.

Why the hell am I suddenly getting nervous? I've told him I love you so many times before, why does it feel different this time? I thought trying to force myself to go to bed. Is it because...I don't mean it? I thought sadly as another nervous feeling hit me. It's fine...it's fine. Just go to sleep you must be tired. I tried reasoning to myself as my eyes closed and I drifted off to sleep.

The week sped by faster than I thought. Well with me working nights and Luca mostly days, that didn't really leave us much time to see each other. Soon it was the day before my flight and Luca and I were eating breakfast together. I made sure to stay up long enough so we could eat together despite wanting to faceplant into my plate.