Chapter 24

We got to his car, he helped me in, and buckled my seatbelt for me. I discreetly sniffed his amazing cologne. I didn't realize I had closed my eyes just soaking in his scent.

"Jaya, you okay?" I could feel his breath fan my cheek. I slowly opened my eyes and stared into his concerned hazel ones. My breath hitched at our proximity. My eyes flicked to his lips for a nanosecond before I looked back up into his eyes. I couldn't place his emotion.

My throat all of a sudden got dry so I cleared my throat and tried my hardest to look away but I couldn't. "Um, yea, I'm okay." My reply came out a little forced. I tried smiling to make it a little better but I knew it didn't reach my eyes. I can't deny how all of this has affected me and how I feel like a piece of me is missing now. I have made a point to ignore those emotions because it's the right thing to do but the more I acknowledge them the more I analyze them, and the more I do that the more things come into a clearer picture.

Nico looked at me for a second longer and exited the car and closed my door before he got into his side and buckled up. We set off to drive me home. He put on the radio and a throwback song came on, John Mayer's "Say". The irony is not dead on me believe me. Oddly enough we both started singing the song softly while obviously lost in our own thoughts. Around the middle of the song we looked at each other finally realizing we were having a duet and started laughing. I winced when I laughed too hard. A flash of concern went on his face before he turned back to face the road.

"Jaya please make sure you take it easy. You need to be off for a few days to recover. Before you even try to protest it's mandatory. You have to get better! Please." He was sincerely begging me to get better and as much as I wanted to protest because not only was it foreign for me not to be at work but it meant I wouldn't see him at all. That shouldn't send a pang to my chest but it did. I nodded because I couldn't trust my voice any longer. He whispered a thank you. I looked out the window and my mood was slowly turning more and more somber. The closer we got to the house the more I realized I had stronger feelings than I could have ever imagined. Pushing them away is seeming useless but I have to try.

We pulled up and Luca came running out in all his beautiful glory dressed in sweats and a t-shirt. I looked over at Nico in question. "He's your emergency contact and future husband Jaya, he was going to find out either way." I didn't miss the grim expression that quickly came and went at the word "husband." I sighed because I knew Luca was going to freak out and that should make me happy but I have never been a helpless person so I've had to adapt to being cared for in such a capacity. He came to my door and helped me out giving me a once over and hugging me a little too tight but I managed not to mention it.

"Baby are you okay? I was so scared when Saraj called me to let me know what happened." He looked over at his dad, "thanks for helping her dad and convincing her to relax and catch a ride with you. She would've tried to go back to work or drive home alone." Nico chuckled because the truth in that statement was dead on. I gave him a mock scowl which caused both of those idiots to laugh at me.

"Um babe, dad, I need a favor from the both of you." He looked pleadingly at us and I was a bit nervous at where this was going. We both looked at each other and then back to Luca. Nico motioned for him to continue. "Okay babe you're going to need someone to look in on you today until I get off and I unfortunately have to clean up the mess of a very careless employee and as much as I'd rather be home with you which I know you'd push me to go to work anyway but I need to make sure you're okay. I'm pretty sure you aren't going to work tonight and I'll be home then anyway but um dad can you stay and hang out with Jaya?" I wanted to protest, the statement was right on the tip of my tongue but the minute Nico agreed all my resolve had dissipated and I just sighed and accepted.