Chapter 1

"I can't believe this is Happening"

"Can you believe this!" My friend Saraj asked incredulously.

I wasn't really paying attention to her. My mind was zoned out listening to my playlist on my phone. My headphones blocking out most of the white noise of useless conversation and outbursts going on around us. Well I mean that's what happens when you take the New York subway. 80% of your ride is awkwardly trying to avoid having the homeless or sweaty huddled bodies from touching you just to get almost trampled on the way out.

I felt a nudge from my left side.

I know some jerk just did not touch me....after I just got finished complaining about people touching me.... I complained inwardly as I looked and saw my friend staring at me. I took my headphone out of my left ear.

"Sorry?"

She rolled her eyes, "did you not hear a word I just said?"

I returned her roll, "if I did would I be taking my headphone out to hear what you just said?"

Just then the intercom buzzed above us as the conductor's voice came out partially cut off by static and a sound system that probably hasn't been changed since the 80's.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, due to a blockage on the track we will be we will be delayed for just a moment."

Everyone inwardly groaned, we all knew what that meant. 'Usually just a moment' could be anywhere from 20 min to an hour long wait.

As everyone tried to make the most of it, Saraj turned to me again.

"Well since we got some time to kill. You remember our friend Deja?"

"The kinda loud one?"

Saraj laughed, "yea that one."

"What about her?" I asked deciding to check my emails on my phone.

"You remember she married that hottie Malcolm the investment banker?"

I sighed, "yes....we were both there....you made out and later hooked up with one of his groomsmen Jamal..."

"Oh yea....good times....I should give Jamal a call sometime with his cute chocolate self-"

I rolled my eyes again "is there a point to this story you're trying to make?"...what a spaz...I thought. You had to keep Saraj focused, because she happened to be one of those people that just the slightest distraction and she'd be off to the moon on tangents.

"Oh yea....I just read that her and Malcolm are taking some time off..."

I looked at her confused, "what do you mean? They got married like 3 years ago!"

"I know right....well apparently, he came home late one night and found her in bed with his first cousin Eric. The best man from the wedding! Apparently they had been fooling around for like the past year."

This was definitely worth me pulling out my headphone, "Are you sure? I never got like cheating vibes from Deja...she just seemed like a good girl who mostly kept to herself."

"Malcolm just announced it on his instagram like yesterday. I called her other friend Mina who told me what happened."

"So how did Mina find out?"

"Lunch with Deja."

"Man....that sucks. They were such a cute couple too."

Suddenly Saraj got a call on her phone as I put my headphone back in. Man it seems like everyone is separating and breaking up nowadays. I remembered being happy for Deja a transplant from Kansas City who had a bit of a twang in her voice, but an eye for photography. When I saw them walk down the aisle and saw nothing but bright and happy smiles shown on their faces, I wanted them to be happy and successful. I guess that's the nature of the beast....I thought as I deleted spam and old emails. Malcolm seemed like such a good guy too. He had a great job, was a nice guy and was attractive too at that. Man I hope he didn't suck at sex or something terrible for her to have to cheat on him. And the thing that still blew my mind was who it was with. It wasn't just with some random dude at a club or a drunken hookup. This was his first cousin who from what I understood during his best man speech at the wedding, had been like a brother to him. They had gone through alot together, and he said he felt blessed that Malcolm had finally found the one. It just doesn't make any sense.