Chapter 34

*Luca's POV*

"De Santi!" yelled out a voice.

My eyes focused in on the senior partner Edison as he curiously watched me bushy salt and pepper eyebrows turned down as he held open the door of my office.

"Lufthasa isn't gonna wait forever for you. You know how Germans are about being on time."

Shit! I thought mentally facepalming. We had a 9 am meeting with them and here I was zoning out at 8:58 like I didn't have anywhere to be. I quickly grabbed my leather bound folder and followed him towards the conference room. It wasn't hard for me due to my long legs and Edison was short, but despite the height difference the man could be as intimidating as a giant. You don't get to be the Senior Partner of a Law Firm by being sweet and nice all the time.

"You're right," I said outside the conference door as my watch chimed 9am, "punctual as always."

Edison said nothing as he opened the door and we both walked in.

Lately I have been zoning the hell out these past few days. Before it was about how much I've missed Jaya and hoped she was doing well on her trip, but lately it's been on another subject. While I have enjoyed having Jaya back, I've noticed that something's different. It hasn't been anything big really, mostly small details but weirdly they've been all adding up since she got back from Miami. The first day or two back I assumed it was maybe being a little wiped from the conference. Yet, that first night back when I asked her about it her answer seemed off. You know how people in movies say they have a weird feeling or something in their gut didn't sit right with them; I felt that. I don't really know how to explain it, but the way she gave her answer set off warning signals in me.

Even now during our meeting while I'm presenting and discussing with Lufthasa about their latest marketing strategy and how we plan on protecting that, my mind wasn't fully there. Granted it was mostly a meeting on presenting and keeping each other updated so I didn't have to put much thought into it. Plus, I'd been going over the numbers and proposal our firm came up with over the past few days so I was more than prepared for the meeting.

An hour later, Edison and I were shaking hands with their reps at the elevators as we wished them a safe travel back. Another successful meeting. I thought satisfaction flowing through me as I turned on my heel and started walking back to my office. Normally it would just be me walking back, but this time I heard another set of shoes against the hard floor.

I walked in and offered him a seat, "something on your mind sir?"

He made no movement to come inside and just leaned against the doorframe.

"Word from the bullpen is you've been zoning out alot lately."

I said nothing for a moment as I undid the top button on my dark grey suit and sat down. There's nothing worse than word getting back to your boss that you've been slacking off at work. Granted I could take a break every now and then, but when that's the first thing out the boss' mouth, might be something to take into account.

He held up a hand, "no need to say anything. We all have off days. Actually De Santi, I'm more surprised you haven't been having more of those. As long as it doesn't affect your work you won't hear a word of complaint from me."

I watched him, not really sure what he wanted me to say. Edison had always been a bit of a hard ass, but I knew the man did it out of a type of tough love.

He started to walk off before leaning back in the doorway, "which now that I think of it. Why don't you take some days off?" he saw my confused look, "to help you get focused. Face it Luca you work like a partner and you're what 30?"