Chapter 9

I came in and had to stop for a moment. Usually most of the doctor's offices that I went into were pretty plain. They mostly consisted of a large metallic desk and chair, their medical charts and files as well as their degrees and other pompous achievements. Of course Dr. Nico wasn't like most doctors, I noticed that from the first moment I stepped in. 

Damn....being a doc is the way to go... I thought as I briefly scanned the area. A comfy dark gray sofa two gray receiving chairs greeted one when you came in with a nice table arrangement with some various books on medical issues were laid casually on top. His desk was just behind that with his MacBook and not much else. Ironically the only degree I saw was from his medical school which was just to the left of his fireplace. No magazine covers or flashy "Best Surgeon" could be found anywhere. Of course....humble but not too much.  I thought as I walked towards his desk. 

A small smile crept onto his face as he saw me, "Jaya-"

"Nurse Jaya." I corrected him. Too harsh I thought as I softly smiled to soften the blow. 

"Nurse Jaya. Thank you for coming." 

"Well...it's the least I could do, you did page me after all." 

"oh that's right." he said absentmindedly I arched an eyebrow in confusion something is definitely up....why's he being so nervous?  I thought as I stood where I was. 

"please take a seat." he offered as I chose the sofa near the fireplace. 

"this is quite the place Doctor Nico. I obviously chose the wrong profession." I remarked in admiration as I looked around. 

"yea it's not bad. I just started putting some things in since joining a few days ago." Not bad...boy bye. I can barely get any elbow room in my section. I complained as he sat down on the other side of the sofa. 

"Jaya....Nurse Jaya," he corrected himself as he saw me watching him, "I asked you here because I need your advice on something." 

"ok...why me?"

He leaned back sighing, "well...apparently you're one of the few nurses I seem to be able to actually talk to like a person." 

I looked at him confused, "what in the world happened while I was gone?" 

"apparently I don't know how to talk to people and all the nurses seem butt hurt that I talk to them a certain way."

"Did you use any of your wonderful euphemisms on them?" I joked, I sensed he was still tense so I figured lightening the mood would help a little. 

He chuckled, "see...that right there. I don't know how to describe it, but somehow I'm able to just talk to you without it coming off gruff or -"

"bossy?" I suggested. 

"exactly! Thank you." He smiled at me. 

"No prob." I answered smiling back happy to see him relax a bit instead of tense

"What?" He asked curiously watching me.

"Hmm?" I said focusing on him, well...more on his eyes and lips. He really does look good when he smiles....Damnit Jaya, this is what we said we weren't gonna do....come on girl. Be professional...say it with me. Professional . Not thirsty. I thought as I forced myself to focus on the words coming out of his mouth. 

"you're smiling, so I'm curious to know why you're smiling?" He got a little closer, "it wouldn't happen to be about me would it?" He asked raising his eyebrows somewhat suggestively. 

I snorted, how right you are. "No. In your dreams Dr. Nico." I haughtily replied.

He tilted his head to the side, causing a bit of hair to fall near his eye, I strongly resisted the temptation to reach out and move it. I bet it feels nice and soft. Jaya! I chastised myself again as I tried to snap out of it. Stop fantasizing about this man and his damn hair. You're here to talk about work. Not about his nice...full..thick head of hair...JAYA! what did we just get finished talking about!