The Beginning of the Trials (Part II)

SCENE FIVE: SPIRITUAL BIND WORLD

Shikauhno hears Michelle talking to someone. She enters the living room where Michelle is talking with a photographer.

Michelle speaks, "We're just waiting for my husband and two girls. They should be arriving soon." She feigns a smile.

She walks away frantically thinking to herself, "Where are they?"

The photographer is already set up. The front door of the house swings open as Chris, Lisa, and a younger Shikauhno enter.

Michelle questions sharply, "Where have you been?"

Chris answers, "We stopped at the park on our way back."

Michelle speaks with annoyance, "The park? I thought you were just stopping for flowers."

Chris adds with a bouquet in his hand, "The girls wanted to go."

Michelle looks down at the flowers and snaps, "Forget it! Those are ugly anyway. We'll do without them."

Lisa runs up to her mom, "Mommy!"

Michelle complains, "Chris, why is Lisa filthy?"

Lisa tattles, "Mommy it was Sarah's fault. She pushed me down in the sand."

Shikauhno is hiding behind Chris, holding on to his legs with her head down like a scolded puppy.

Michelle looks down at a frightened Shikauhno. She leaves Lisa to walk over to Shikauhno. 

Michelle orders, "Chris step out of the way."

Chris puts up a weak argument, "It was probably an accident. Right Sarah?"

Shikauhno says nothing.

Michelle yells, "Move!"

Hesitantly, he sighs and steps out of the way.

Michelle squats down to younger Shikauhno's level; she continues to keep her head down not making eye contact.

Michelle spouts in a sharp whisper, "Look at me." 

Michelle repeats, "I said look at me when I'm talking to you."

Younger Shikauhno slightly raises her head and looks at Michelle with tears welling up in her eyes.

"You wouldn't be crying if you weren't guilty now would you?"

Shikauhno simply shrugs her shoulders.

"Look, we have a nice man waiting to take our picture. So I'm going to need you to change your clothes and put on a big smile for the camera. If they see how happy you are they'll send another nice check. Do you think you can do that?"

She rubs Shikauhno's shoulders in a feigned endearing manner. "If you can't do that then I can't feed you."

Shikauhno nods her head. Michelle retorts bitterly, "What do we use in this house?"

Shikauhno stays silent and Michelle points at her own lips, "Our mouths. We aren't animals, God gave us mouths so we can speak."

Younger Shikauhno speaks in a hush tone, "Yes ma'am. I apologize." Her voice cracks a bit.

"Chris take the girls upstairs so they can change."

Before little Shikauhno reaches the stair case Michelle grabs her arm tightly.