Cross to Bear (Episode VIII)

Book One, Chapter 8

Cross to Bear

LUKE 9:23 KJV

" And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me."

SCENE ONE: RYOJIMA

Nani's REI continues to cover Maku as Nani runs towards the cross. Nani sustains some cuts on his shoulder, and arms, however, Nani's blade manages to slip through the remaining open space of the cross. He holds his blade just inches above the man's golden eye when suddenly a voice sounds, "An eye for an eye."

Naninatso freezes and turns around to see Aiddo holding a little girl.

Maku's eyes widen as he realizes it is the little girl he met recently.

She is limp and her eyes are agape and empty.

"No!" Maku blurts out.

Aiddo digs his fingers into the girl's right eye.

SFX: GRISLY SQUISHING AND POPPING NOISE

Maku and Nani instinctively make their way towards Aiddo and the girl.

Aiddo takes a few quick steps back and continues, "You humans have been charged to protect the powerless. Fleshly dwellers who live in the dark. If you want to maintain that duty, heed my words."

He begins to drag the girl from her eye socket and walks toward the cross, "King, come."

The cross slowly opens back up and the strange guy, King slowly comes out. His book is in his hand and he holds an object in his mouth. It is a balled up rag held in place by a brown string. The string is clenched between his teeth.

King slowly walks a feet away from his cross and drops the object onto the ground.

Aiddo exclaims, "We present to you a gift, a gift you cannot afford to leave unopened."

Nani watches King and the object, "What is it?"

Aiddo answers matter-of-factly, "A Piece."

"You expect us to buy that?" Nani responds.

Aiddo sternly adds, "Your skepticism is viable. I myself, was unaware King held a Piece until shortly after our reunion."

Nani opens his mouth to respond but Maku speaks up, "You said your comrades were forced into slumber by our allies in the distant past..."

"Yes." Aiddo agrees.

"And now that you are awake you seek to reunite with your sleeping comrades. And this is only possible through us somehow?

"It is as you say." Aiddo replies.

Maku answers, "As we have told you before, their whereabouts remain a mystery, even to us."

"Let it be known that this Piece will serve as proper guidance; in other words, a spiritual map."

Naninatso interjects, "This sounds more like a win-win for you guys if you ask me."

Aiddo continues, "Only your kind are able to access this Piece. It is entirely useless to me without the aid of the chosen few."

"Why is that?" Maku questions.

Aiddo shrugs, "That's simply the nature of its design."

"And we we should just take your word for it?" Nani asks rhetorically.