32 - The Inferior

Leya was still breathing. Her chest rose and fell with painful breaths. However, she was limp against the wall.

I heard Christine growl from her corner and I forced myself to turn to her. I could feel tears burning crisp in my eyes. "What do I do?" I found myself crying. It wasn't what I had wanted to say. Yet that was the only thought I had.

I tried to remember lessons from our basic medical class in Hunting Academy. I tried to remember how to stop the bleeding of a wound. However, my mind went blank. It went blank and rapid with images of sixth sucking the life out of every living thing around them.

I should be used to it. I'd seen it so many times before. 

Holding back more tears, I looked around the shop. A damp rag lay in the pile of glass where the counter had once been. I grabbed that and moved over to Leya. My hands shook and I wished for Conner or Jeff. Anyone that had experience in this.

I pressed the rag against her  slitted wrists - but Leya didn't wake up, and the bleeding didn't stop.

"Its not working." I gasped. I couldn't let her die. I couldn't just stand there while she died. It was what I had done with Maddie. It was what I had done with so many others. I couldn't have Leya haunting my dreams either.

Leya didn't stir any longer. I nearly choked on my tears as I felt across her veins.There was no heartbeat, there was nothing pulsing in her veins.

She was gone.

Leya was dead.

As soon as my mind registered this, I let go of the rag. I found myself stumbling away from her. A part of me waited for her to show up. Waited for her to bash me just as Ms.Newton and Maddie had done.

"This is my fault." I heard an unfamiliar voice say, breaking my thoughts.

I was even more startled when I realized it had come from Christine. However, I did my best to mask my horror. "No, none of this was your fault." It was mine. This had been all my fault from the very beginning.

"You can do it if you want," Christine's eyes wandered around the room, never laying on me. "Maybe its for the best."

"I'm not doing anything," I managed. "We're going to find my Dad." Hopefully, he'd know what to do. He always knew what to do and I needed that. For once, I needed someone to tell me what to do.

Christine slowly dropped the stake and we both winced at the clatter it made. She then stepped over glass and rubble to stand in front of me. Physically, she looked like a monster. However, I could somehow still see my friend inside. "I'll protect you, Alina, I promise."

I was in awe by the solemn look she had. A look she'd never posessed before. 

"I don't have anything to lose now," She handed me another stake. "I have your back."

"N-no," I stammered. "I don't want you risking anything for me."

"I don't care." She said quickly - and then to my surprise, a smile came over her face, her human features slowly morphing back into place. "You're my bitch, remember?"

-------------

The Materials District was completely empty. In fact, the lobby was so silent that you could probably hear a feather fall on to the floor. Every sound our feet made against the metal floor caused us both to cringe. However, it didn't seem the Sixth had reached this place as everything was still in order as if the store owners would be coming back.

We made it to the towering metal doors that lead to the rest of the station. My palms suddenly felt sweaty around my stakes and I flashed Christine a nervous glance.