25 - Last Stage

I woke up from the most pleasant dream I'd had in awhile. No nightmares. No sixth. Nothing. Just a dream of sweet bliss. It was so great that I found myself smiling as I got out of bed, put on some clothes and came out into the hall.

I stopped when I heard shuffling in the kitchen then pots clattering. 

Lexi hadn't been in bed so it must be her. However, when I peeked in; I seen Lexi and Dad....talking. Not arguing. Not disagreeing. They were just talking as Lexi put on some stew.

They never had real conversations. Lexi was always too busy doing her own thing. Like seeing David or hanging out with Kia. However, now they were actually talking. I leaned on the wall, deciding not to ruin the moment.

 "He's not like the others, y'know," She said, eyes fixated on the stove. "He cares for me like I'm the only person that matters. He makes me feel safe when no one else can."

I was stunned that they were talking about David.

"I just wish you could have waited, Lexi," Dad sighed, setting paperwork on a counter. "I'm happy you'd found someone but I just wanted-"

"What?" She asked darkly. "For me not to be happy? For me to slave my life away in the woods?"

Dad didn't say anything instead he turned away.

"Thats not me, Dad," Lexi's eyes softened. "Thats Alina but its not me. I respect the hunters for what they do but I can't live like that."

"I know," He said. "but I just wanted you to put your studies first before you fell in love." Then he frowned and added, "It can get you hurt."

"I guess we're both wounded deers then," Lexi said softly, turning off the stove. "You lost mom - we all did - and now David is gone too." Tears trailed down her eyes and Dad came over to her, putting his arms around her.

It was odd to see this side of him. Dad had changed - alot.

"I'm sorry," I heard Lexi sob. "I'm sorry I can't be the daughter you want but I love him, Dad."

"Its okay," Dad was still holding her. "We'll find him. I promise. We're gonna find him."

I stayed where I was, hearing the whimpers of Lexi. Then I went to my room and shoved on my dirty hunting boots. I had promised Christine I'd visit her today and I wouldn't go back on it. I shrugged into a wool jacket and when I came back out,Lexi was at the table, eating stew.

"Hey," She smiled when she seen me, no trace of tears on her face. "What are you up to?"

"Going to see Christine," I frowned. I wanted to ask her about what had happened with Dad. Was he really going to send a rescue team? Could David be saved? "Wanna come?"

Lexi shook her head. "I think I'm just gonna stay home today."

I decided that it wasn't best if Lexi knew I'd been eavesdropping. That was their moment. Not mine. It was their one moment where they weren't bickering about something being unfair. Dad was really trying to change and they seemed to be at level ground.

I walked through the station, a very quiet station. Those that were out were hurrying to their jobs. Everyone seemed on edge.

I seen Jeff at the square,talking worriedly to a hunter I'd seen on the spree. Apparently, we weren't the only ones that had survived. I came up to them.

"This is crazy," The girl said, frowning at the hurried people. "It was just the rain for crying out loud!"

"Whats going on?" I asked.