34 - Near Death

It took far too long for my mind to process. To register the man on the floor, writhering in pain as my father. To see that the monster towering over him, a viscious smile on her face was my mother. To realize that my father was in pain because he was turning into...into a Sixth.

Elena grinned now and the last three weary Sixth laughed as well, seeming scared of their Savior.

I couldn't get any words out. Hell, I couldn't even breathe. This was reality. This just didn't feel like reality - but it was.

Dad stopped moving yet I could still see his chest rising and falling with hurried breaths.

"You know," Elena spoke now. "Transformation depends on the person. If they are strong in immune and heart, their transformation will take longer." She frowned at this.

"Infection," I managed to spat. "You infected him."

" I made him better!" She shouted monstrously. "He will be stronger, faster, powerful!"

For some odd reason, I couldn't cry. Tears weren't threatening to appear anymore. Maybe it was my acceptance of her death. That she had to die.  This thought gave me newfound confidence and I began to struggle in the Sixth grasp again.

The female put her hand over my mouth again and I, not trying to think too much about it, bit down on her finger. I was sure it didn't hurt but the Sixth was just taken aback by my action. She stumbled off of me with a yelp.

This gave me the opening I needed.I elbowed the other stunned Sixth and broke out of their grip. However, I had to stop there.

My stake was gone.

This caused an amused glint in Elena's eyes. "Honey, give up, you're going to die anyway." 

"Oh like how you gave up?" I cried. 

Elena growled at this, fangs bared now. "You know what, you don't have to join us. You're just a little whiny girl!"

My eyes found Dad's stake. It was just a few feet away from his stiff body. I quickly averted my eyes, not wanting any of them to catch on.

"She just bit my finger, Savior!" The female exclaimed with an unmistakable anger.

"Valencia!" Elena snarled at the sixth and then turned to me. "So where do you want it, sweetie? The neck, the wrist, where?"

Thats when the soldiers burst into the room. Four of them were carring a large barrel and the others had their weapons aimed. There was growls and screams as the Sixth pounced on to a defense. I covered my ears, trying to get to Dad's stake.

Mr. Lance lead the raid, cutting off the head of Valencia before she could even make a move. I would have never taken the man for a fighter.

I could hear more screams erupting from outside. Some of the soldiers were startled by the Inferior who had rushed to the control room to protect their Savior. This surprise cost some of the soldiers and I didn't dare look.

Only a few feet away from the stake and Dad, I felt a tug on my shirt collar and I gasped. Leo swung me, trying to thrust me into the fire. The fire blazed in my face, shooting heat  and smoke through the room. I quickly struggled out of his hard grip only to have him grab me hard by the hair.

I moaned at the pull of my roots, the yank bringing tears to my eyes. 

Leo chuckled. "Oh, look, its you again!"

"Where is Christine?" I gasped in pain.

"And this time I actually get to kill you!" He screamed, his fangs barely missing my neck. I pulled away from him, blinded by pain as he ripped hair from my roots.