3 - Party

I could imagine how Dad was probably feeling and that was pissed off. So, I immediately ran off the stage, running. I didn't know exactly where I was going. I was just running. I could feel hot salty tears burning my eyes and streaming down my face, but I didn't stop.

I had never really cried before. Only when Dad had told me that Mom was never coming back. I had thought she was on vacation, a very long one. However, it finally sunk in that I would never see her again and I broke down. I had cried and cried and cried, no one could pull me away from my tears. I, at only ten years old, had fallen into depression.

Now I felt it again, attacking me with great force.

I ran until I reached our house, pushing open the door and slamming it shut. I could barely see as I fell on to something hard and metal which was probably the floor. I didn't get up. I felt too humiliated and too weak and too over worked.

I must have fell asleep as when I opened my eyes, the room was pitch black. I got off the cold metal floor and curled up on to the couch, trying to catch some real sleep.

"Alina, are you awake?"

I sighed.

Lexi flipped on the light switch as she came in, setting her bag at the edge of the couch. She then sat down next to me so we faced each other. I rolled on to the other side. I didn't want to face anyone. I wanted to be completely alone.

"Don't be like that," Lexi sighed. "I'm - no one - is mad at you."

That was a lie. Dad's shamed face was engraved in my memory. "She was talking about Dad and I just got so mad and-"

"I understand, Alina, I really do."

"No, you don't."

"But Dad doesn't," She said. "He told me to break the news to you."

My heart was swelling up now. I covered my ears, trying to drown out her voice. "If Dad has something to say then he should be a man and say it to my face."

I could barely hear Lexi and I didn't bother bringing my hands down.

Lexi yanked my hands away. "You won't be able to go on the Hunting Spree, you're gonna be on probation for a month."

"A month?" I literally shot upright. "A month, thats not fair!"

"I'm sorry, Alina, but thats what-"

"I'm not staying in this boring place for a month!" I couldn't breathe. I felt as if my whole world was collapsing before me. No, not a month. I needed to go now. I had been waiting for this moment my whole life. I can't wait. I've waited too long.

"Alina, just calm down!" Lexi pleaded.

"NO!" I nearly roared, pushing her so hard, she hit the metal wall. I didn't have time to care about her well - being. I was running for my room, locking the door.

The world was whirling as if I had been spinning around for hours. I needed air. I needed freedom. I needed space. I pushed at the hard metal walls, urging them to break through, to let in some crisp air. I kicked. I punched. I pushed.

I finally threw myself against the wall and it all went black.

A strange scent was in the air. A warm scent that smelled like pine needles and tiger lilies. I realized I was out in an open grassy field, surrounded by tiger lilies. I had never seen a wild flower before, only in the Hunting Center and that one had been dead. I now leaned closer to the bed of flowers, inhaling the scent.

There was a soft soprano sound that suddenly rang in my ear and I looked up. Mocking jays were up in the trees, singing a tune of their own.

I let out my hand, hoping that like the movies, one of them would land on my arm. However, they all stared at me down, their song dying out with the wind. I laughed, embracing the warm crisp air that I had deeply longed for.