30 - Invasion

"Alina, come on, wake up!"

I heard Jeff's voice again. My vision came back in patches. This time we weren't in the hospital. We were in the crowded metal streets of the Station. There were so many people around us. However, it wasn't the usual calm, hurried crowd you'd usually see. It was a crowd wracked with fear.

Some were screaming hysterically. Others were asking around, trying to figure out what was going on. 

Jeff seemed to be supporting me. My arm had been slung around his neck and my body was in his arms. I tried to wiggle out of his grasp but he held me firmly.

"I'm going to take you to your father," He said over the screams and hysterics. "Do you know where he might be?"

It took awhile for me to realize he had said anything at all. It took even longer for me to process his question. Dad. Where would my Dad be? "The commanding room."  I managed.

Jeff began pushing through panicked people. I felt sleep coming on again and this time, I held on to Jeff. I couldn't sleep. I didn't want to. As he weaved through the crowd, a million thoughts ran through my head.

Where was Lexi? Where was Dylan?Where was my father? Were any of them okay? Had any Sixth gotten into the station yet? Would anyone be able to protect themselves? I felt sick to the core thinking of all these people being slaughtered. This was a buffet waiting for the predator.

"Tell," I could barely catch a breath but I tried again. "Tell these people to get...to safety."

Jeff didn't seem to be listening to me.

All these people were standing only a few feet away from the hole that lead to the ground above. They were easy prey. They were the bloodbath and it wasn't right.

I knocked my fists against Jeff's back now, trying to get him to listen to me. "Jeff!" I gave an exasperated cry.

"What?"

"Tell them to get to safety!"

He kept going, moving farther and farther away from the crowd. I kept hitting him but it didn't seem to affect hm.

"You are an evil, cold monster!" I managed to scream. 

"I'm not thinking about them," He said sternly. "I'm thinking about people I actually care about."

"Well I care about all of these people," I gritted my teeth to stop the pain that was surging through my body. "And you should too."

Curious adults and children ran past us to join the crowd. At this point, the whole station was buzzing with curiousity and anxety. They had no idea they were putting themselves in danger. They were putting themselves directly in a monster's path.

 "I don't have time to care about anyone else." He said gravely.

We rounded another metal street, only to find more crowds of people heading the way we'd just come. I wanted to build a gigantic wall to keep them from going any further.

I pursed my lips then. Contemplating Jeff's words. This was more of a distraction from my worry and my pan. "But you care about Conner alot."

"Of course."

"Thats probably the only sincerity I've seen from you."

Jeff's eyes flickered down to mine but his pace didn't slow down. He opened his mouth as if to say something but then closed it. 

We were getting closer to the commanding room yet hordes and hordes of people kept heading towards the front of the station. I felt a pit in my stomach - and I couldn't help it anymore. I cried out to those who passed us to get to safety.