6 - Bite

It was not possible. She couldn't be real, because my mother is dead. She was gone. Her life was sucked out of this earth.

"Ethan, we can't do this anymore," She whispered. "I - I'm married with two beautiful daughters and that means something to me."

He sighed. "But I still love you." He reached up to caress her cheek but she lightly pushed it away with a pained look.

Ethan suddenly flew into a rage, flinging his fist against a tree. It shuddered slightly with the force of the impact. Mom was backing away now, a stern and steady look on her face. However, a pint of fear could still be seen in her eyes. He swung around to face her, tears in his eyes and this nearly ripped her apart. "I'm sorry." She said.

"Sorry isn't enough."

"Alina." A hoarse strained voice called for me and I was suddenly back in the room of what used to be an office. I was pretty sure I had fainted but Mom was still in front of me. A sixth was still in my presense. I didn't know what to do. Run, cry, wait?

She was calling my name, coming closer and closer. My heart nearly beat out of my chest. This was not my mother. This was a monster.

I moved away, slowly reaching for an unconcious Christine. A plan had slowly arose in my head. I would grab Christine and run as fast as I could because once again, I was defenseless.

Mom was completely different. Pale, demonic, dead. Her once glowing hair was now a faded brown. Her pretty skin was now a diseased pale. Her eyes. Her eyes were the fearful hollow black that haunted me in nightmares.

She was only a few feet away from me now and I shakily woke Christine. However, she was still too weak, the bite was infecting her.

I could feel my pulse racing and I froze in sheer fear.

"Alina." She said, but it wasn't her. It sounded too alien. Too foreign.

She stared at me, obviously waiting for me to answer. I couldn't. I was absolutely terrified and speechless.

"Alina," The monster said again. "Don't be afraid, I'm here."

I shook Christine again.

"Its me," It cried. "Mother."

I scanned the room, looking for the closest exit and I found it. An opening in the metal floor as if someone had pryed it open. It was only a few feet away from me, but she was blocking the path. I'd need something - anything - to knock her out. However, all there was was rusted metal desks and bitten wooden chairs. These would have to do.

In a split second, I grabbed a wooden chair, raising it over her head. She tried to take over the weapon with such immense force I almost fell back. I yanked it towards me as hard as I could and then pushed the chair back into her stomach - and then the scream started.

That horrible piercing scream rang in my ears as she fell down in agony. I crouched to the floor, one hand over my right ear and my left hand, yanking Christine up to her feet.

I then, without any hesistation, pushed her into the hole. The screams slowly grew quiet. I heaved myself into the ho0le and landed only seconds later on to the soft moss and grass. The fall wasn't very high, but I could tell I'd hurt myself as I heard a soft rip of one of my tissues. I ignored it, however, because we a sixth was only a feet above use and we had to escape.

Christine was laying unconcious on the ground and I lightly swung her on my back. She was quiet light due to the bite which made her easy to carry. I struggled. With every step, excruciating pain hit me like a wildfire though my legs and feet. I assumed that was probably where the injury was but as much as I wanted to stop, I wouldn't - I couldn't.