31 - Loyalty

I sat slumped against a wall in one of the Material District Shops when I came to. Looking around, I realized this was a Weapons store. Machetes, knives, and more hung on the walls. Stakes, embellished with gold and silver, were in glass cases on the counter.

I'd forgotten how I ended up here.

Everything seemed so peaceful, so normal. However, the pain in my head and body told me otherwise. I didn't dare sit up.

"Alina."

A soft familiar murmur startled me. It seemed to be coming from the dark corners of the store. I heard footsteps. My heart raced. Bile rose in my throat. I pressed myself up against the wall, searching for the door. The store was too dark.

"Please don't be afraid."

I gasped now. "Chri-Christine?"

She stepped out of the dark; her head down. Her bright red hair fell into her eyes. Her arms were behind her.

I remembered.

I remembered the way she had looked when she had saved me. She had looked like a monster. Like the monsters that haunted my nightmares. Like a Sixth.

"Please don't be afraid." She said again.

My whole body was sheaking. I got to my feet and was surprised. The pain didn't seem so bad anymore. I mustered up the courage, trying to find something to say. "Afraid?"

"I'm not.....me anymore," She whispered. "I'm....I'm ugly."

I took a step towards her. Christine quickly backed away. "You're not ugly," My voice shook and I fought hard to control it. "Let me look at you."

"No."

I reached for her anyway, touching her shoulder. Her skin was pale but warm surprisingly. She flinched but didn't push me away. She felt like the same Christine. The same girl who was my best friend.

I took a lock of red hair in my hands. It felt dead yet it still had those almost non - existant split ends Christine had always complained about.

Those eyes were not those of my friend. They were black, very black.  However, I could still see tears gleaming in her eyes.

"You still sound the same." I managed to smile.

Christine seemed to watch me warily. She looked small, scared, and...fragile. It was a look I never knew Sixth could have.

I hugged her tightly then. Her shoulders shook. I had to fight my own tears. Because of me, Christine was a monster. This was my fault. I caressed her hair as she sobbed. I rubbed her back and told her lies that would soothe her.

I knew things wouldn't be okay. 

"This is worse than being dead," Christine cried. "I'm a demon."

"No," I exclaimed. "No, you're not!"

"I'm going to Hell," She pushed me away then, her hands covering her face. "or wherever bad things go!"

I bit my lip, trying to find something soothing to say. However, I came up with nothing. Christine was a Sixth and I had no idea what to do. Part of me was relieved that she still seemed like herself. She didn't seem evil just scared.

"Christine," I made my way to her and slid down against the wall. "We're gonna fix this." I was lying to her again but I had no other options.

"How?" She was crying uncontrollably, wrapped in the fetal position. "There is no cure! I'm gone, Alina!"