16 - Alone

The group had huddled in a grassy field near the borders of the city, somber and sad looks on everyone's faces.

Dylan walked me towards the group and I clinged to him, still trying to understand. Ms. Newton had been killed? How many casualties did we have in this attack. I could have sworn there were only five Sixth that we were up against.

I fell on to the ground right next to Silk who shot me a disgusted look before moving to the other side of the circle. Someone put a beige blanket over me but I wasn't sure who it was. 

No one spoke for a very long time. We all just stared at each other. I wrapped the blanket more tightly around me. A strong wind whistled through us all and the sun almost seemed to disappear completely, adding a blue tint to the sky.

"So....we're alone?" A red - haired boy who I recognized as Isaac. 

Silk rolled her eyes. "Of course we are!"

"Then we turn back, right?" Leya asked, turning fearfully towards Silk.

"How do we get back from here?" Another girl piped up, her voice soft and squeaky.

"Has anyone seen Maddie?" Someone else farthest from me asked somberly.

I felt my whole body quiver and shake. "She's dead, okay!" It came out my mouth in a slur. It was more like a blurt - out than anything else. 'She'sdeadokay!' I threw my blanket on the grass and laid on top of it, staring at the stars as they appeared in the sky.

Someone started sobbing. Another was whispering hurriedly. However, everyone was mourning. Its funny how no one seemed to have any sadness for David. David, who could be dead right now. Had they forgotten or did they just not care?

I let sleep capture me before a tear could slip......

Maddie was leaning against the long marble stoned walls of the musuem, her hair glowing, her eyes cat - like. She looked human but there was something evil that settled on me as I watched her. She stared intently before a smirk came on her face.

"I'm fine," She said. "If thats what you're wondering."

I gasped. This dream seemed all too real. "You-You're really here?"

She stepped off the wall and came to meet me by the side of the road. "Alina, I never really liked you that much."

"Um, I kind of knew that." I said sheepishly.

Maddie smiled brightly, looking more stunning than she did in life. "But I realize theres something you need to do, something you have to do so David and I can come home."

"But....you're-"

"Dead?" She laughed but there was no humor. "Hardly."

I was still trying to figure out if this was a dream or not. Was I really talking to the dead? Was Maddie really saying these things? She didn't look like a Sixth. "What - Wha -What do I need to do?"

"Alina," She sighed, shaking her head. "Stop being so stupid. She's going to kill him if you don't let down the barrier." - and then she looked back towards the musuem. However, there was no musuem. Just the woods and something bloody and withering in the grass. "He's barely hanging on."

A breath caught inside of me but I could barely breathe. I forgot all about Maddie and ran as fast as I could towards David. He didn't have any bites on his body but it seemed someone had driven his own stake into his arms and legs. He was breathing heavily.

I couldn't help but cry. "David, I'm so sorry!" I managed. "I'm coming to get you, I promise!"

His eyes were unmoving, not even looking in my direction. It was as if he didn't notice I was there. What kind of dream was this?