22 - Reunite

"Want to come to our house?" Conner offered as he, Jeff and I walked down the long crowded hallways of the Station.

Jeff looked more god-like than ever in a grey shirt and denim jeans. His hair was touseled and he was eating an apple, not really paying attention to our conversation. 

I couldn't help but smile just a little bit. It had been awhile since I talked to Christine and it just felt great to have a friend again. I had promised to visit her tomorrow morning with makeup as she had expressed how ugly she felt without it. However, she looked just fine without it.

"Yeah," I said, looking at Conner. "If thats okay with your parents."

"Nah, they'll be thrilled," Conner chirped happily. "Its been awhile since we've brought friends over."

"Especially pretty ones.;" To my surprise, Jeff winked at me and I totally didn't see that one coming. However, not only was he successful in everything he did, a good older brother but he was also known to be a flirt too. However, something told me Christine  might be who he was truly interested in.

We made it to their house. Jeff and Conner's small condo had a homey feel to it.The heater was on, lamps gave off sunny lighting and the smell of pecan pie filled the room. Someone was making dessert.

"Mom, we're home!" Conner announced, plopping down on the warm wool couch, flicking on the TV with his remote. I noticed that subtitles followed Merri-lee's words. Probably something they had installed after Conner lost his hearing.

A frail woman with big brown doe eyes, gleaming skin and chin-length brown-blonde hair appeared in the Kitchen doorway. She had on a pecan-stained apron and a long-sleeved sweater. She smiled when she seen her two sons and I. "Good, who is this?"

Jeff threw the remains of his apple in a trashcan. "Mom, meet Alina Rale."

I stepped awkwardly towards her for a hand shake. "Hi, its a pleasure to meet you." 

She shook my hand. "Call me Alice, dear, would you like some pecan pie?"

"Oh, yes, please." It seemed like forever since I'd had something other than bear cooked over a fire in the woods.

While we all waited for Alice to finish preparing the meal, we all settled in Jeff's room. It was, despite Jeff's charming personality, bare. Only personal things like photos of family, friends and special events decorated the blue walls. 

Conner sat crosslegged on Jeff's bed and I sat down on a bean bag seat. Jeff leaned against the wall near the door and to my surprise, pulled out a blunt and lit up.

"Where did you get that?" I asked.

Sure, lots of people smoked weed but only on rare occasions like the party that had been thrown at my house. I wasn't a huge smoker. It was only for laughs and hysterics and I certainly didn't have time for it now.

"Its a stress reliever." Jeff shrugged.

"Its disgusting." Conner wrinkled his nose and I was thankful he wasn't into that kind of stuff.

"So, Jeff?" I asked, deciding this was the perfect moment to see what he really thought of Christine. Besides, she's had enough trouble. "Whats up with you and Christine?"

"Christine?" He blew out smoke and Conner buried his face in a pillow, clearly deciding he didn't care about or conversation to follow up. "She's cool, why?"

"Well you seemed into her back at the hospital."

Jeff shrugged and then gave me a smirk. "Maybe I am."