7 - Chocolates

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked as Dad walked me down the hall towards our house. We were back in Station Three, but I still couldn't rest.

Christine was sick. No, not sick. Her status was unknown. No one has ever seen a bite in Station Three before. It was because no one had ever been left alive from a Sixth attack. They were merciless creatures. They cared just as much as we did about our next meal.

"She'll be fine," Dad replied faintly. "We're getting in contact with other Stations to see what this is."

"You think another Station knows about this?"

"Hopefully."

We stopped at our front door and I thought of Lexi and how happy she would be to see me. Dad didn't show it but a part of me could sense he was happy too. "Dad, I'm sorry about Leya-"

"Its okay, Alina," He said. "I know you have your moments just like I do. We're all human."

That did it. Without warning, I hugged him. Dad was taken aback but after a few seconds, he hugged me too. In his arms now, I realized how much I had missed this feeling. To be with my Dad. To be with my family. I almost wanted to sleep in his arms now because thats what little girls do when they're scared or relieved or just happy to be alive.

He slowly let go of me. "Well, I better talk to the team at the Medic Lab."

I nodded. "Okay."

We stood there for a moment before he smiled and walked away. It was our little way of saying we loved each other.

I opened the door to our house to find that it was empty. However, that didn't matter.

I was home.

I took the joy of cooking bear meat that David had kindly left for us. I enjoyed the meal in front of the TV, watching Merri-lee announce my safe return. Althought I had found her annoying before, it felt comforting to see her.

It was only twenty minutes after when the door unlocked and Lexi came through the door. She sighed softly, hanging her coat on the coat hanger - and thats when she saw me and we both stopped.

"YOUR HOME!" She cried, tackling me on the couch.

"I'm home!" I gasped.

"YOUR HOME!"

She got off me, yanking me to my feet and pulling me into a hug. "I thought I'd never see you again," She cried, her voice muffled.

"Neither did I." I murmured.

She let go of me and I could see tears in her eyes. I brushed one away with my hand. "A lot has changed." She said.

"Like what?" I asked.

"People are much more paranoid," Lexi laughed."But more paranoid of each other. A sixth snuck in our stations and blended in with us."

I shivered at the thought of Alec. How normal he had been. How monstrous he really was.

 She trailed off, more tears building up.

I grabbed her hand. "What is it?"

"Nothing," She managed. "I'm just so happy you're safe." -  and suddenly she burst out crying, burying her head in my arms. I almost wanted to break down and cry with her, because I knew this nightmare wasn't over.

 -----------------------

"Well then fine," Mom cried. "Because sorry is all your gonna get." With that, she took off into the woods, running with tears in her eyes. She didn't know where she was going. Right now, she wasn't a mother, but a grief-stricken woman.