9 - Reunion

I had no choice but to follow the directions given.

I couldn't risk Lexi getting hurt. Somehow Alec had gotten into the Station again and killed Ethan Weaver. He threatened my sister. My back was against a wall.

There was only one thing to do. I was going on my first spree, undetected.

I waited until David had left and once Lexi had took a nap on the couch, thats when I sprung into action. I shoved on my hunting boots and jacket, tied my hair into a sloppy bun and snuck into Dad's room, careful not to wake up Lexi.

Dad's room was neat and organized. His bed was made up (unlike mine), his work portfolio and paperwork were carefully placed in a black drawer labeled; WORK. His shoes were lined up in a row in front of his bed as if they were the shoes of soldiers reporting for duty.

I hadn't been in his room in awhile so I took time to examine it closely. I was surprised to see our old family portrait on his closet door wall. It was the one with Mom in it. Her smiling face and his happy grin. That was when he was able to show emotion, when he wasn't afraid to.

I opened the closet door further and thats when I saw what I was looking for. On top of a neatly folded shirt was a gold - lined stake. These were the most powerful stakes that could be made. It could be thrown like a boomerang and killed a Sixth in just an instant. It was reserved for those high in rank like Dad.

Tonight, I would need it.

I grabbed the stake and slipped it in a pocket inside my jacket. I then crept back into the living room where Lexi was snoring in front of Merri-lee. I was careful to unlock the door quietly - and then I was free.

I ran as fast as I could, only stopping to not be seen. There was a crowd of people out at the front gate of the Station. Parents saying goodbye to their children. Tearful couples and excited hunters. I almost wanted to give a go at Leya as she sauntered around, smiling and showing off a diamond - studded stake.

I reminded myself to stay focused.

I waited until the parents were slowly leaving as they were done with goodbyes and then walked casually over to the crowd of hunters now. I blended in with them due to my gear so I was able to stay off on the sidelines, not speaking to anyone.

I spotted Dylan across from me, talking excitedly with a group of guys about what he hoped to find. Seya was entertaining a bunch of girls about their skills. I snickered because I was much better than they were.

"Okay, everyone, listen up!" The hunter guide, Ms. Newton, was standing on top of a beat up shoe box so she could face everyone. She was a very slim woman with short blonde hair and milky skin. Every boy had a crush on her at least once during their school days because although she was 43, she was beautiful. "We'll be going on through mountains tonight to gather wildflowers and wild goats for the feast next week!"

Everyone nodded, whispering excitedly to one another.

"We only have two rules," She went on. "One, always be alert."

The room had went quiet now.

"Two, don't split up!" She cried. "That would be the most stupid thing to do!"

She nodded her head to indicate she was finished. Then a guard at the far corner made a signal up above and the gate slowly began to go up, revealing the trees and the forest and the beautiful scent of pine needles. The moon was a crescent tonight and it glowed intensely.

There was one other thing I noticed.

The blue tint to the scene. The blue high-tech force field that kept us safe.