27 - Relationships

I liked the feeling of Dylan's hand in mine as we walked along the Square. I liked the feeling of having someone beside me. Especially when I was still lost in thought over Christine's morbid behavior in the hospital.

However, I tried to listen to Dylan as he talked about all the new weapons being considered for Hunters.

"Rumors say they've made some ear piece that can protect us!" He exclaimed excitedly and I forced a smile, remembering how I'd lost hearing in one ear.

"Whats wrong?" He asked, excitement turning to concern.

"Nothing, thats great, Dylan." I focused on the path in front of us. Kids running around, playing Tag or Hopscotch. Adults bickering. People hurrying to get to work or school. Everyone was very frantic these days.

"I should probably tell you," Dylan said. "Your father asked me to be on the rescue team."

I gasped. So Dad really was going through with this. Just like he'd promised. I was almost relieved. I had a gut feeling David was still alive, hurt but still alive. 

"Hey," Dylan turned me to him, a soft smile on his face. "We're gonna find him. I promise." Then he kissed me lightly. A kiss so reassuring that it brightened up my mood immediately. I'd believe him. Of course David was coming home.

"You'll be safe out there, right?" I asked, touching the scars on his chest through his shirt. A reminder that we'd almost lost our lives out there.

"I always am."

Then just to feel confident about it all, I kissed him again. I could hear snickers and disapproval from parents with their children. However, I could really care less.

Breaking the kiss, Dylan smiled. His hands holding mine. I gave his hands a squeeze and we continued our walk through the Square. Those little moments made my day. They kept me going and I realized I should have given into him a very long time ago. 

"I love you," I rested my head on his shoulder. "You know that, right?"

"Took you long enough to admit it," Dylan laughed but then pulled me closer. "But I love you too."

However as soon as he said this, he stopped short. His hands pulled away from mine. Dylan looked like a frightened, nervous wreck. He moved a few inches away from me. The distance was so sudden that I just gaped at him.

"What?"

He was still staring ahead, stunned. 

I looked in foward to see the cause of his distance. Silk's mother, Ambrose, was standing in front of us. She looked just like her daughter. Slim, model figure. Long blonde hair. Lapi Lazuli eyes and a devious dimpled smile. She was wearing a black coat, her slender hands stuffed in the pockets.

"Goodmorning, Dylan Lance," Then her eyes turned sharply to me."Goodmorning to you as well, Alina Rale."

Dylan lowered his eyes.

When I realized he wasn't going to say anything, I decided to speak up. "Hello, Mrs. Sandlers, how is your morning going so far?" My voice was a trembling mess.

She raised an eyebrow, seeming surprised I actually said anything back. "It was going fine until I saw a hideous sight."

I gasped, realizing this woman was indeed talking about me.

Then she turned to Dylan. "I heard you're going to be on the rescue team coming up this week. Good job."

"Thanks." Dylan forced a smile.

Now I was even more taken aback that Dylan hadn't defended me. Ambrose had just called me hideous and he hadn't said a word. Just smiled and said 'thanks'. Thanks?