5 - Memory

"Lexi, honey, get down here!"

Lexi came skipping down hall, dressed in the school uniform and holding a lunch box. She set the box on the island table and Mom popped it open, gently placing a sandwich and a juice box inside. She then closed the box - and her eyes laid on me. Her gentle caring eyes.

Mom was pretty. Maybe even the prettiest woman in Station Three. She was also the nicest. With just one warm smile, she could make anyone feel loved. I walked over to them and laid my box on the counter. "Can I have a cheese sandwich instead, Mom?"

She laughed. "Sure, why not?"

I watched greedily as she slipped the sandwich in my box along with a juice box and closed it. She then brought us both closer to her, bending down so she could be face to face with us. "Well, I'm gonna be gone for awhile." She says softly.

"Like one of your vacation trips?" Lexi asked.

Mom always went on a week - long vacation at least once a month. During that time, Dad cancelled any meetings he had to spend more time with us.

She smiled. "Yes, like my vacation trips."

"Why do you have to, Mom?" I asked. "Why can't you stay here with us?"

"Because I just can't," She sighed. "But I will be back soon and then we'll go see the acrobats show in the Theater."

"Yes!" We both cried in unison. We had both been begging her to bring us to the yearly Acrobats Parade show. It was free and almost the whole Station attended as there were very few people who could master the Acrobat skill.

She kissed us both on the forehead. "I love you."

"Love you." Lexi said.

"Love you." I whispered - and thats when I saw it. Blood oozing down from her neck. Mud and debris slowly covering every inch of her face and clothing. There was sweat and blood knotted in her hair. She stared at us with a horror - stricken face. "Mom?"

She let go of us, screaming out in pain.

I stood up now. "Mom?"

She fell to the floor.

I woke up to the pounding of my head, to the soft chirping of birds, to flowers blowing through the wind. I was in a meadow. A meadow? - thats when everything came rushing back to me. The attack, the Sixth, everything.

I quickly got to my feet, nearly stumbling from the blackness that engulfed my vision. I waited for it to pass. The meadow was a beautiful place. Roses and Lillies, mockingjays, the sun. It was exactly like my dream.

I wanted to stay there. To stay there and let the rays of light shine down on me. I had never experienced the outside before. It was strange yet more beautiful than I could ever imagine. If Alec was going to kill me, why would he bring me to such a beautiful place?

"Alina."

I froze.

"Alina." The voice was weak and fragile. I turned around and completely forgot about my surroundings. One thing stood out over the tall glistening yellow grass and roses. There was red. Red puddles surrounding a scrawny body. A small and scrawny body. It took me a moment to realize that it was Christine laying there, her skinny hands reaching for me.

She looked horrible. Absolutely terrifying. It was as if she had lost every blood cell in her body. Her eyes were bloodshot, her once pretty skin was now an ugly pale. I rushed towards her. "Christine!"