20 - Grief

The soldiers immediately escorted us down into the station and as soon as we stepped foot in to the square of busy crowds, the whole station fell quiet. All eyes were on us, wondering and some even judging.

We were led slowly through the watching crowds. I recognized some of the people as parents of the Hunters that had gone with us on the trip. In the far corner near the entrance of the square was Maddie's mother, her face was pale and she looked paralyzed.

David's parents were sitting on a bench, holding hands as they stared at us, fear in their eyes. Leya's father had seemed to be in conversation with Maddie's mother and he now turned to us, a look of solemn acceptance in his eyes.

I quickly turned away because their children were either dead or could be.

"We need to get them to hospital immediately," One soldier said to the other as we made away from the station down into a wide metal hallway where all the houses were.

"No." I said. "I need to see my Dad."

The three soldiers looked at each other as if they didn't know what to do. 

"I have valuable information." I said steadily, making my voice clear and confident. At this, Silk tssked and kept walking along with Dylan. However, Conner and Jeff stayed by my side.

The first soldier who seemed to be the leader of the other two finally nodded.

Conner and Jeff were escorted to the hospital and I quickly went off towards the commanding room. The room was in chaos when I entered. Officers were all yelling hurriedly at eachother, some watching survelliance cameras that showed beyond the barrier. I took a peek but nothing seemed to be amiss.

Dad was leaning on a chair, watching one of the cameras that was showing Silk, Dylan, Jeff, and Conner being walked to the hospital. He let out a huge sigh.

"Dad?" I took a step foward. 

He looked up - and suddenly all his worry seemed to disappear, turning into a smile. "Alina." He breathed and just like that, he hugged me. It was an odd gesture since Dad wasn't this affectionate. However, I sank into his wool coat, letting just a few tears escape.

I was finally home, away from all that chaos.

Dad grabbed my face in his hands and I was surprised to see tears in his eyes. "What were you thinking, Alina?" He cried. 

"I-I-I I 'm sorry." I gasped and I couldn't contain my cries anymore, I clung to his jacket, sobbing. "I won't ever do something like that again."

Dad led me outside of the commanding room and his shoulders started to shake.

"Dad, are you crying?" I sniffed.

Dad quickly fixed his posture, taking a few steps away. He immediately had a look of a stern, stone - faced leader. "I'm happy you're home, Alina, but the consequences of your actions aren't going to disappear."

"I know that," I said. "I'll take all my punishments - all of them."

I was a bit disappointed that our tearful reunion didn't last very long. Of course, that was Dad. He never wanted to show his weakness. I had a feeling it had to do with his breakdowns over Mom. Elena, she was not someone he should be crying over.

I realized now that I would have to tell him everything. Everything

Dad sighed now. "I guess I haven't been fair to you."

"What do you mean?"

"Suspending you from that Hunting trip," He said. "It wasn't fair."

"No," I shook my head. "I practically ruined the Graduating ceremony."