13 - Ransom

I couldn't move out the way. I was practically limping and that wouldn't take me out of the bear's grasp. This was the end. My mind had forgotten where the hell my stake was and I was pretty sure I was peeing my pants.

A claw swiped at me and I waited for it to stab into skin. 

However, it never came.

Screams of alarm rang in my ears and when I opened my eyes, I could scarcely believe what I was seeing.

The grizzly bear, once vicious, was now being swung around like rag doll. However, more surprise came from who was actually defending me right now.

My mother.

I couldn't move. I was too in shock and could barely notice that the group was leaving me, fleeing for the woods safety. Thats when I felt Dylan push me on to the ground, he was on top of me, screaming for me to run.

I wanted to say I couldn't run. I wanted to say I couldn't speak. That was Elena and I was pretty sure she wasn't here just to kill the bear. 

By the time, David shook me out of my trance, Elena had finished off the bear. She had taken a long drink but in her eyes, I could see it didn't satisfy her. She turned to her next victims, anxious for the kill.

I forced myself to get up. I forced myself to dig into my pockets, searching for my stake. I forced myself to run towards Elena.

However, she dodged me, falling right on to David.

The air was whipped out of me as she flashed by and I dizzily tried to run in her direction. If anyone got hurt, I'd never forgive myself. 

There was a yell. A yell for help. It sounded like David or was it coming from Dylan?

I had to stop and take a breath. I had to wait for the dizziness to wear off before I could go any farther, but I could see it all. Elena wrestling with David, trying to sink her teeth into his flesh. Where was Dylan? Why wasn't he helping? Was he really that angry about the fire situation?

No matter how horrible I felt, I had to try to save David. Not just for him but for Lexi. "But David is going on the spree, And I keep thinking about him not coming back." She had said. Lexi would be hearrbroken if he didn't return.

It took all my strength to run towards them, managing to push Elena off of David. David rolled on to his feet and we cornered Elena as she backed slowly into the thickets.

"Just leave!" I cried. "You're outnumbered!"

She snarled, realizing this as well. However, she suddenly shined with mischief. I was ready to stake her if I had to but it would almost kill my heart. 

Suddenly, she swung around and in a flash, she had Dylan by the neck. Her teeth were only inches away from his flesh. He yelped in pain as her hold tightened, trying to twist his stake around to face her neck.

Something started to build up in me; fear. However, it was fear that Elena might really kill him. 

David looked towards me, his expression mirroring mine. What do we do?

Only one thing could be done and it was crazy and stupid but I was willing to do it. I had to in order to save Dylan. I slowly placed my stake down on the ground. David was gaping at me as if I were insane but I gestured for him to do so as well.

In that moment, I realized just how much I cared about Dylan. I cared about him enough to put my own life in danger. So I guess it was safe to say I might just love him. 

I held my hands up above me and David did the same reluctantly. H ewas one of those laid back guys but I could tell he hated to back away from this fight. "Just let him go." I said.