Murphey's Law

Ok, so this is actually the first chapter of something I'm working on, comment if you're interested in reading more. If ya'll are, I'll post this and chapter 2 in a new book titled Broken Pieces. :) thank you guys for all your support!
(If you also follow my one shot book, this is posted there as well, sorry!)

———————

Almost everyone know's what Murphy's law is, but in case someone's never heard it before, it's simply the concept that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. The first recorded use  of the phrase was in 1951. David wrote in his diary to vent. Why does this seem like the definition of my life? Here I am trying to study and I can't concentrate. I can't even write down why I'm distracted in fear of my parents finding this. Why me? Why does this Murphy's Law seem to always loom over my head?
"Dave, can I talk to you?" Ann Ben-Zvi, David Jacobs' best friend since diapers knocked on his door semi open door biting her bottom lip. He looked up from his messy desk full of books, paper, and empty water bottles. His parents were strictly anti caffeine.

"Yeah sure thing, what's up little Annie?" He turned in his chair to face her.

"So uh, is there any chance you might just maybe uh be the witness for me and Race at the courthouse?" She asked quickly trying to rip it off like a bandaid.

"WHAT?!" David asked in total shock.

"You heard me." She whispered looking down at the floor.

"Ann, why are you talking about marriage?" David asked trying to play the voice of reason.

"Well I turned 18 last week, so I don't even need parental consent." She started twiddling her fingers.

"That's not a good reason to get married Ann. And I think you know it."

"That's not the reason." She mumbled.

"Then what's such a great reason then?" He asked the valid question.

"It's personal and I'll tell you later." Ann really didn't want him to know.

"Ok, I won't pry." He was a great friend and knew when to drop things.

"Ann, why don't you just ask the rabbi to marry you?" David sighed as he tried to talk a little sense into his childhood best friend who was like a sister to him. 

"Tony isn't Jewish, I already asked Rabbi Gamalio and he said I could never marry someone from outside the faith under a canopy." Ann sighed.

"Don't you think that might be a sign or something that you shouldn't marry Race, I know he's a good guy and all, but you are more than likely going to be dead to your parents if you go through with this." David warned still not sure that this was a good idea.

Ann sighed knowing that with her Israeli immigrant parents who were staunchly orthodox, David was more than likely right.

"And you also know I'm putting my neck on the chopping block for condoning this correct?" David verified suddenly realizing that himself.

Ann took a deeper breath. "Why does marrying a Christian have to be such a big deal with my folks?!" The five foot young woman tugged at the strings on her drama club hoodie in frustration. "Hardly no other parent from this century would care!" 

"It'd be worse if he was Muslim." David said trying to be slightly optimistic.

"What's possibly worse than not being able to get married under a canopy and your parents disowning you?"

"Death." David said bluntly.

"Baloney, that'd never happen." Ann rolled her eyes.

"Ok, maybe you're right, you did ask what would be worse though. But maybe you should wait a couple of years and then re evaluate the situation. You've still got college ahead of you." He tried to advise

"But I love Tony." Ann whispered far from ready to admit the real reason behind her rush.

"More than your family and religion?" David asked solemnly.

"Ugg!!! Why does this feel like a cut scene from Fiddler on the Roof?" Ann groaned.

"Maybe because your father is Tevia reincarnated." David sighed.

Ann giggled. "In both of our parents' eyes we should be together you know." She said vocalizing the sobering thought.

David snorted knowing it was true. "Too bad you're a girl." He winked at Ann.

"By the way, when are you ever going to come out to your parents mister I never even think about disobeying my parents?" Ann teased back.

At the thought David paled. "Please don't remind me."

"What a mess we are. We are supposed to be the good children Dave. Not the ones about to marry out of the faith and the one pining after not only someone not of the faith, but of the same gender." Ann took a deep breath. "What are we going to do?" She groaned.

"Yom Kippur?" David tried to lighten the mood.

"Aren't you supposed to try not to do the stuff you are atoning for? Not continuing to do it?" Ann mumbled.

"Hey, just throwing it out there." David raised his hands defensively.

"I guess no matter what we do, we're both screwed." Ann sighed.

"I would sure hope so." David winked trying to avoid the severity of the conversation at hand.

"David, I know this isn't your first choice in discussion topics, but can we be serious?" Ann sighed heavily.

"We could marry each other but then see who we wanted to on the side." David shrugged trying to be serious again.

"Adultery."  Ann reminded him.

"Dang it." David grumbled.

"Remember how proud our parents were when we read from the Torah?" Ann sighed.

"Yeah...why?" David looked slightly confused as to why she was bringing it up.

"I guess we're just going to have to cling onto that moment in our hearts and just move on."

David scratched his nose. "I guess you're right. So you're marrying him then?" David rubbed his forehead feeling a headache coming on.

"Yeah, I am." Ann nodded. That was not up for debate 

"Alright. I see, now leave me be! I have physics to study for. What time do you want me at the court house Monday?"

"Our appointment is at 4." Ann kissed his cheek platonically. "You truly are my bestest  friend! Thank you!" She gave him a hug before leaving a bit more relieved then when she'd walked in.

David sighed turning the page in his notebook. This was not going to go over well. He just knew it.