Epilogue : Lesson & Blessings

7 Years Later

Samantha King

No More Secrets

I scratched my head, flipping through the exam for the 12th time, time was running out and I could care less that I was the last one in the classroom; I was about to take all the time provided because the boards were nothing to play with.

3 years in University, 4 years in Medical school. I had been working my ass off in school, working, as well as taking care of my two children. Working a full-time job, as well as trying to juggle full-time medical courses wasn't easy but luckily, I made it here today. Although Alonzo had left behind more than I could've imagined, money that doubled by the second from the amount of investments he had made. I still wanted to make sure I had my source of income. I'd rather use the money for the kids, and my own on myself. My father was a great asset to my life and it seemed as though he came, right when I needed him most because without him and the man above, of course, this wouldn't be possible.

I flipped the exam back over for the last time, said a little prayer over it then stood up with faith, placing it on the desk of my professor. I stepped out of the class, and walked into the hallway of students that were buzzing with conversation; wondering if they passed, some claiming that they know they failed it, a few were crying actually. It was intimidating but I had learnt to never compare my process to the person beside me.

I quickly found my locker amongst the other, and took out my hand bag, finally switching my cellphone on after hours of having it turned off. Messages flowed in from my dad, from Nya and from Elise's school. I rolled my eyes, and walked out into the front of the campus where I could actually hear my thoughts.

I dialed, my dad's number first however it went straight to voicemail, after his I tried Nya and of course she picked up right away. "Sammy Sam!"

"What's up Ny?"

"Nothing much, how did the exam go."

"Hoping for the best, but not as bad as I thought. I saw your missed called though; what's going on?"

"I had to pick up Elise from school... Apparently she got into a fight."

"Again?!" I exclaimed, throwing my hand in the air. "What the hell for this time? I swear to G-... put her on the phone, please?"

"Got it." I heard shuffling, followed by some conversation in the background before her voice finally broke through. "Hi mom."

"Don't hi mom me, Elise! What the hell happened at school?"

"Some senior tried me, so I had to show them that they had the wrong one. I gave her a combo, just like grandpa showed me."

"You tell em sis!" I heard Nya say in the background, which caused Elise to giggle.

"This isn't a laughing matter and Nya, don't encourage her. I pay a lot of money to send you to that private school and I'd be damned if you make my money go down the drain. You hear me? Grandpa got in trouble for a lot of those combos, and you're about to get in that same kind of trouble if you don't stop."

"Yeah, I know... it wasn't intentional, I just don't like when people mess with me."

"Which is why you gotta learn to cool your temper and turn the other cheek. Handle them outside of school grounds, okay?"

"Okay mom."

"Good, I love you, you're still going to get an ass whooping though but I love you. Now give the phone back to Nya."