25: Dove

Please Play The Video As You Read...

Nya Flemington

"You ready?" Lucas asked, squeezing my thigh as he parked the car in our designated spot for the day. I looked over my sunglasses at the crowd that was lined outside of the church entrance, getting let in one by one. My heart was beating faster than normal and my palms were sweatier than normal, after a week and a half of mourning today I would have to face the nightmare that just wouldn't seem to go away.

I nodded, and unbuckled my seatbelt, taking up my purse and slipping out of my flats and into my heels. I gave myself a few minutes, and took a couple breaths before I finally opened the door of Lucas' car. The wind blew through my curls, sending chills down my spin. I could hear the voices of guests turn into whispers the moment they laid eyes on me, luckily enough Lucas was here as my comfort. I felt his arm wrap around the small of his waist and him kiss the top of my head. "I'm here," he whispered into my ear before walking us up, past the line of guests and in through the V.I.P. door.

The moment I entered the old Baptist church that my father was christened in, I could hear the organist playing old hymns while some of the guests conversed as they took their seats. The funeral home had a couple of their staff taking our coats, and hanging them up in their designated area. My hands shook as I unbuttoned mine, and handed it over to them. I looked upon Lucas who wouldn't take his eyes off me, not even for a minute. Once his coat was off, and he got the tickets for them, he was right by my side again, guiding me into the sanctuary of the church.

I adjusted my glasses on my nose, and wiped my sweaty hands against my black lace dress as we followed the usher that seated us in the front row, next to Rochelle, Samantha, Rocky and siblings; who had arrived a few minutes before us.

"Hey mom."

"Hey baby girl," Rochelle said, with her eyes widened after hearing me call her that. she removed her purse from the wooden pew so we could sit closer. I could smell the liquor that she was using to cope almost immediately, coming from her direction. "Hey Lucas." She waved.

Lucas both waved at her, then over to Samantha who forced herself to smile. Although she wore glasses you could still see the discoloration under her eyes, and the slimming down in her face. Samantha still slayed nevertheless, her hair was pulled into a sleek mid-ponytail and she wore a deep red lipstick that looked stunning with her black turtle neck dress that stopped mid-thigh where her thigh-high boots met, she then had a black trench coat draped over her shoulders; pulling the whole outfit together.

Elise ran from Samantha's side and over to me pouting as she had been for the past week. I pulled her onto my lap and she rested her head against my shoulder, and wrapped her arms around my neck for comfort. "I miss him..." she said low enough for only me to hear her. I patted her back, and fought the tears from coming this early.

"Me too..." I said.

As guests continued to fill the sanctuary, a few singers went up singing a couple church songs that I had remembered, along with some Kirk Franklin; something that you could never go wrong with. Once everyone was in, and seated the Pastor of the church rose from his seat and made his way up to the podium; he was a short man, had salt and pepper hair, pink lips and a royal blue robe on; Pastor Poppy who was also the owner of Poppy's Pancakes. The man cleared his throat as he rested his bible against the podium and gestured for the choir to sing.

The choir rose on one accord, one of the ladies stepped to the front and grabbed one of the mics as the organists did an intro for amazing grace. The lady did a phenomenal lead, and the choir did just as great if not better with backing her up. As they sang heads turned to see my father's casket being carried down the aisle. We rose to our feet, and I watched some of the guys that once worked for my dad along with Eazy's husband, carrying the casket down to the front where they rested it on a stand next to a picture of him. One of my great aunts helped them open up the casket so that his top half was viewable, she shook her head then moved out of the way so that we could all see him; laying there in peace.