22: A Loss

Samantha King

I didn't get the time to even recover or enjoy my father's release. Nor did I get the chance to tell him how much I hated him for the things he did to me, the way he made me felt and most importantly how he broke my heart. I wanted him to pay for the pain I felt, and the humiliation but instead of getting the chance to be bitter and get back at him; I was stuck here playing the good wife to a man that put me through hell for the last year.

We were going onto our fourth day after the big incident and I hadn't left the hospital or his bed side once. Friends and family filled up the room day in and day out, but I didn't move an inch. Like the stupid lovestruck idiot I was; I sat there waiting for good news.

Alonzo was alert, but he wasn't responsive. The doctors told me that he was poisoned, apparently one of the most disturbing cases they had seen; unlike most cases it was his lungs that were contaminated. I don't know how but whoever was behind it, was an evil genius they said. With that being said and this case being so rare, they were trying everything they could but couldn't figure out why nothing was turning around for him.

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" Elise chanted while pulling on my arm, I rolled my tired eyes and looked over down at her.

"What is it Elise?"

"When are we going to be able to talk to daddy? I miss him." She leaned her head against my shoulder and my heart broke. I looked ahead of me to see Alonzo hooked up to machines and IVs. It had been his third day here, and it seemed as if there was no progression at all.

"Soon baby girl, daddy's just resting for now."

"Can we wake him up? I want to tell him about my school concert next week."

"When he wakes up, I'll be sure to tell him okay." As I spoke, I looked up to see the room door crack open and my dad pop his head in. "Finally, you're back. I need you to watch the kids while I go call up some more lawyers."

Nya and Rochelle had gone home for the day to change and get some rest, meanwhile my father and I stayed for the night shift with the kids. After everything that happened, I didn't want them out of my site.

"How about you eat something first?" He suggested, walking over to me with a tray of lemonade from Wendy's and a couple bags that looked like they were filled with snacks hanging around his wrist. "Along with getting some rest?" he added, placing the drinks onto the side table and handing Elise hers.

"I really can't sleep while going through this."

"I understand, but remember you've been through trauma too and need to process it as well. I'm here to help and Rochelle will be here in a few. I'm sure that a nap won't hurt."

"I need to monitor him dad, I don't think you understand how critical his situation is."

"I'm aware baby girl." He plopped down in the chair next to me and rested his hand on my shoulder. "But self care is necessary, you'll burn out going at that pace." Carter began to cry and reached for him in his car seat but my dad stopped me. "Let me help, just relax."

I did as I was told, and leaned back looking over at a sleeping Alonzo. I sighed, resting my cheek against my hand. "I'm waiting for these stupid police to come and remove these off him. How can they expect him to recover in this state?" I asked pointing down at his hand that was handcuffed to his hospital bed. Due to his warrant, his progress was being monitored and reported to the Toronto Police, the moment he recovered was the moment he would be processed and sent to jail for something I was sure he didn't do.