Chapter 21: We Can't

- 17 Weeks Pregnant -

I had gone to the group every day last week. All the girls were super cool and completely accepting of me. None of them gave me stink eyes or dirty looks or being with Justin. Of course, none of them knew we were split up, but that was besides the point.

I had also given them all my number, but when my phone started buzzing under my pillow at 3 AM, I never once considered it could be them.

"What?" I mumbled as I rubbed my eyes.

I heard a sniffle on the other line first, then a sigh, then Lacy started talking, "Serrina, I didn't know who else to call. I just can't believe it. She's gone. She died."

My heart was racing, "Wait, slow down, who?"

"Felicia," She whispered, "Her baby died."

I sat up quickly in my bed, "Text me the hospital and room number. Im on my way." I jumped out of my bed and got dressed. Then as I sat down to put my shoes on I groaned. I don't drive, But I know somebody who can.

I was completely dressed when I left my room. Luckily, the weather was getting colder, so my excuse to layer until my bump was hidden was so far working out.

Cody's room was right beside mine and closest to the front door, so hopefully, he would drive me and we could sneak out easily.

The door creaked as I pushed it open and he rolled over, covering his eyes, "Who's there?" His voice was clouded in sleep and very raspy.

"It's me. I need your help." I whispered and closed the door behind me. I slowly made my way to his bed and sat down, "Can you drive me somewhere?"

He stared at me for a second then slowly sat up. His brown eyes were squinting to see me in the dark but he sighed, "When?"

I bit my lip and shrugged, "Now?"

I saw a few things flicker through his thoughts then he sighed and nodded, "Fine, get out so I can get dressed." And when I hesitated he gave me a little shove, "I sleep nude, get out."

I looked at his bare chest and felt my face flush, jumping up and leaving the room quickly.

I stood outside his door, spinning my phone between my fingers as I waited. Inside I heard him shuffling around and my mind instantly went to him walking around naked. My face got hot again and I pressed my palms to my cheeks.

God, Serrina, stop it!

******

"This is the hospital." He mumbled. I slowly nodded, "Why are we at the hospital?" Then his mind jumped to a conclusion, "Are you okay?"

"My friend is admitted. I needed to see her."

He bit his lip and turned off the car, "Okay, lets go."

No. You can't see where Im going.

"You don't have to come," I mumbled, "You don't even know her, Cody. Wont that be embarrassing?"

"Yeah, but you dragged me out here. I don't want to sit in the car."

He had a point. I made him drive me, I couldn't stop him from coming in, "Fine, but don't say anything."

"Promise." He grinned then we were on our way inside. I could hear his footsteps right behind me as we walked and as I glanced at my phone I saw Lacy's text: 3rd floor rm 341.

I followed the signs posted on the walls and found myself standing outside the room, Cody right on my heels. I slowly turned to him and went to speak, but he cut me off.