Chapter 13: See You Again

- 14 Weeks Old, 9 Weeks Pregnant -

I had gotten bigger. My stomach was actually obvious if I wore tight shirts. Justin had decided that we needed an announcement soon and we were currently thinking up ways to do it. We still hasn't told management because they reacted badly last time. We figured it would be better to just announce it ourselves then deal with the angry managers later.

But that wasn't on my mind right now. In this current moment, Taylor was holding her head up on her own during her belly time and I couldn't stop watching her. She was growing up so fast.

I was so entranced that I almost didn't hear my phone ringing.

But I did and when I saw that it was Krystal I smiled and let out a sigh of relief. She had gotten over it.

I pressed the talk button and pressed it to my ear, "Hey. You have to come see Taylor soon. She's-"

"Serrina?"

I paused and sat up straight, "Momma B?" I had called her mom that since the first day we met even though her name was Elaine. Their last name was Brake, and she was like my second Mom, therefore: Momma B.

She was talking strong but I could tell she wasn't okay, "Have you seen Krystal?"

What?

"No, isn't she at home?"

"She went out a few days ago and nobody has heard from her," She took a deep breath and then I heard her voice break, "I don't know what to do, Serrina. She doesn't just disappear like this."

I climbed off the floor and brushed off my butt. Taylor was still rolling around on the floor and Justin was suddenly watching me, "I'm coming over. Don't worry. We'll find her."

"Okay." She mumbled, "I'll see you soon." Then the line ended and I sighed.

Justin was watching me really closely and he jumped up, "What's going on?" He cupped my cheek and shook his head, "You're crying, what's wrong?"

I shook my head, "Krystal is missing. Her mom can't find her." I felt my lungs fighting to catch enough air and I started to ugly cry.

******

Justin had comforted me until I was able to get into a cab and go to Krystal's house. Her mom was getting into the car when I got there.

"Elaine?" I mumbled, jumping out of the cab. I left the door open and ran up to her car.

When she looked at me I saw a look I had never seen before. Her whole face was scrunched up and her makeup was running down her face. Tears were staining her cheeks and falling off her chin.

"Wha-" I stuttered. My throat was getting tight again, "What happened?"

She bit her bottom lip and shook her head, "I don't want to scare you, honey. It's bad for..." She trailed off. Krystal must have told her, "I don't want you to worry or stress."

"Please," I mumbled. My voice was breaking.

Something is really wrong.

"They found a body." She choked out. Another loud sob broke out of her mouth, "They think it's her."

******

Elaine had sent me home. She didn't want me there in case it was Krystal. I still couldn't believe the idea that she wasn't at home playing on her phone and texting different boys.

Justin was rubbing my back as we waited for a call. Taylor had fallen asleep on the floor and we had just left her there.

When my phone started to ring I just handed it to Justin. I couldn't hear the news.

"Hello?" He mumbled. I listened to his voice, "No, Justin." He sighed, "Are you sure?" Pause, "I'll tell her." Then he grabbed my hand, "Tell her mom that I'm really sorry for her loss." I gritted my teeth. Justin hung up the phone and then turned to me, "It was her."

I began to sob.

******

Justin had given me space to think. I was too distraught and sweaty to do any quality thinking so I brought our photo albums into the bathtub and was flipping through the pictures.

My first reaction after finding out the news was wanting to call her so we could cry together, but that was no longer an option.

We had been friends for so long I didn't know what it was like to not be able to call her.

My eyes teared up as I flipped another page.

Krystal was gone. My best friend was dead.

She wasn't coming back.

Tears fell down my cheek.

The bathroom door swung open and Justin peeked in. I flipped another page and froze.

There was a small picture of Krystal holding Taylor. She was only hours old in it, but it was probably the most recent picture I had of Krystal.

"She's gone," I mumbled and shook my head. I took out the picture and closed the book. I held the photo in my hand, "We had a fight."

Justin didn't say anything to me. He just stood there for a minute until I extended my arm for him to hold my hand. Then he came closer to me and sat down on the floor just outside the tub.

"She is-" I paused, "Was, Taylor's godmother."

"She still is," he mumbled, and as much as I knew he was trying to help, it wasn't working.

"What use is she dead?" I mumbled and rubbed my eyes, "She can't take her if we both die. She won't be there if Taylor needs her,"

"Stop," Justin cut me off, "She is still your best friend."

"No," I snapped back, "She's dead!"

He grabbed my face and shook his head slowly, "You're grieving right now. I understand that, but you're saying stupid things."

I shook my head, "It's not stupid. It's the truth. She died." I ran my hand over the photo, "She can't be my best friend anymore. She can't be Taylor's Godmother. She can't be a bridesmaid. She can't..." I trailed off, not sure what else to say, "Justin, she was my best friend, but she died."

He bent over and kissed my forehead.

******

As I laid in bed that night, Krystal was the only thing on my mind. I thought of her and Ashley. Then I wondered if Ashley knew.

I'm sure she did.

I remembered the time that we went to the mall and she fell flat on her face trying to impress a guy with her posture.

I remembered her stupid, Christmas sweater with the neon green Christmas tree and light up star. I remember her wearing it to my house Christmas Eve last year and pulling me and Connor off each other.

I remember everything about her. The way she smiled, the way she laughed, the way she cried, the way she was always calling me stupid.

The way she was always right.

Justin was still awake because when I started to cry, he wrapped me in a hug and starting singing.