Chapter 18: Reminder

- 13 Weeks Pregnant -

I blew slowly at the tea in hand hands. The steam coming off the cup smelt like sweet peppermint. I rocked in the chair and sighed.

It had been a week since Taylor... died. Justin and I had been right beside each other the first few days but after the initial loss, I haven't been able to look at him the same. Everything about him reminded me of her. My little girl that was taken way too soon.

The door crept open and Justin head poked in. I didn't have to look up to know it was him because he spoke before I had the chance.

"You shouldn't sit in here." He mumbled, "Its depressing."

I looked around me at my daughters old room, "Losing a kid is depressing." I mumbled back in monotone then sighed and shook my head, dropping my head back down and biting my lip, "I'm fine. Just grieving."

"Then can you come out here and grieve with me?" He mumbled, "I'm worried about you."

I glanced up at him and frowned, "Sorry all of us can't grieve by writing music and going to recording studios." His face told me I had hit a soft spot.

"Its better than sitting in a dark room all day or sleeping." He snapped.

I bit my lip and slowly nodded, "Fine." I snapped and pushed myself off the rocking chair. I immediately got dizzy and had to grip Taylor's crib to catch myself. Justin reached out to balance me but I pulled away before he could touch me, "Don't." I snapped.

He flinched away and sighed, "Have you eaten anything today?"

I glared at him, "Don't worry," I tried so hard not to snap at him but I couldn't hold it back, "Your incubator is keeping the babies at an adequate weight." I could see him flinch at my words then I shook my head, "I cant do this anymore."

"Wait," He cut in, "Do what?"

I shook my head, "Be here. I cant stay here and look at you pretending everything is okay."

"I'm not pretending everything is okay, Serrina. I'm grieving too."

I shook my head, "I'm going to stay with my mom for a while. I need to think."

He didn't stop me as I walked past him to leave the room. I paused for a second in the doorway and spun the ring around my finger. Slowly, I slid it off and placed it carefully on Taylor's dresser, then continued on my way out and called for a cab.

******

I rang the doorbell twice and ran my hands through my hair. I hadn't even brushed it today so I'm sure it looked like a rats nest.

The door swung open and a boy stood on the other side. He was about a foot taller than me, a little taller than Justin and his brown hair flopping over his eyes.

He stuck his hand out the door and pointed to a small silver plaque stuck to the wall, "No. Solicitors." He mumbled, "Can you read?"

Wow, rude. "Yeah, I can read." I mumbled, "I'm not soliciting."

"Then who are you?" He mumbled and flipped his hair out of his face, exposing his two, dark brown, almost black, eyes.

"Cody, who is at the-" My mom started then stuck her head around him. When she spotted me she shoved him out of the way and pulled me into a very tight hug. She held me there for a long time before pulling away. Then she turned to the boy, Cody, and sighed, "Cody, this is my daughter, Serrina."

His face turned a light shade of pink, "Oh, sorry."

I shrugged, "No problem."

Then my mom escorted me through the house and into the living room. As she rustled around for something she sighed.