Chapter 4: That's A Plus

- 2 Weeks Old -

A housewarming party was the last thing I wanted right now. Justin and I had a rhythm with Taylor and this party was about to ruin it.

I had told him only a few people: Sarah, Ryan, Jenny, Chaz, Krystal, and Ashley. My mom had already been over here enough, she didn't need to be invited. Then, we got texts saying Krystal and Ash couldn't come because of a school fundraiser.

So when Ryan and Chaz showed up with only Sarah in tow, I was relieved to say the least.

"Wheres Jenny?" Justin mumbled. He had put everything that happened behind us. Jenny was a thing of the past, but he had left our history in the past so that Chaz's girlfriend still felt welcome with us.

I knew by the look on Sarah's face that it was over between them before Chaz even spoke.

"She's crazy. Had to get out of that." He mumbled, although I could still tell he hadn't gotten totally out of it.

"Really?" Justin stared.

I went to give him a shove in the side but the baby monitor interrupted me. Taylor quiet cries filled my ears and I sighed, "I'll get her." Justin smiled and kissed my temple.

"Ill come. I want to see her." Sarah piped in. I saw Ryan watch her a little closely but I didn't think much of it.

We walked up to the bedroom and I pushed the door open. Taylor had stopped crying and was anxiously waiting for me. I smiled at her, "Hi sweetie," I mumbled as I picked her up.

"She's adorable," Sarah mumbled. I watched as she reached over my arm and touched her hand. Taylor tried to wrap her hand around Sarah's finger and I watched and Sarah's face lit up.

I stared at her as she watched Taylor. There was something totally different about her. The air around her seemed thicker or she was more serious.

"Whats going on with you?" I mumbled then caught my tongue, "I mean, you seem..." I trailed off, not sure what to say.

She chuckled, but more of just a sharp exhale out of her nose and she stepped away from me and the baby, "You're good." She mumbled, "Nobody else has figured it out yet."

I stared at her with an odd look and turned my head a little, "What did I figure out?"

She bit her lip and wouldn't make eye contact with me. My stomach suddenly felt uneasy as she was so quiet. Then she spoke up, "I think I might be pregnant."

I stared at her and then dropped my gaze. She's pregnant?

"How?" I mumbled then quickly shook my head, "No... Really?"

She shrugged, "I haven taken a test yet but my period is 3 weeks late."

"And no birth control?"

She hesitated and shook her head, "I ran out of pills and we ran out of condoms." She sighed, "It was only once though. We have been careful other than that."

"It only takes once."

I would know.

"I know." She trailed off, "But would it really be so bad?"

I stared at her in shock. Although I wouldn't trade my baby for the world, how was she so okay with throwing everything away for a baby already?

I didn't want to hear about maybe's anymore, "I have a few tests. Come on." I mumbled and walked past her. I wasn't sure if she was following me until I heard her light footsteps. I didn't wait for her to catch up to me. I just walked right into my bathroom and crouched. Taylor, still in my arms, fussed but didn't move much. I swung open the cupboard and grabbed a pregnancy test box.

"Why do you have so many?" She mumbled as she spotted my stash in the cupboard.

I shrugged, "Im prepared." Then I stood up and slid the drawer open to expose a box of condoms, "But we aren't being stupid anymore."

She nodded and I sighed, "Ill be outside. Get me as soon as you peed on it." She nodded and closed the door.

I bounced Taylor in my arms as I waited. What if she is? Then Taylor could have a friend... But what if Ryan doesn't want a baby? Would she get rid of it for him?

Taylor was cooing at me when the bathroom door opened. Sarah stepped to the side and I squeezed in beside her.

"We have to wait, right?" She mumbled.

I nodded, "Usually about 3 minutes." I set a timer on my phone, looked over at her and noticed that she was staring at Taylor, "Do you want to hold her?"

She glanced up at me and smiled, "Really?"

"Of course," I had to smile at how excited she was. I handed Taylor off to her and she took her slowly before hugging her close. It was so innocent, and the longer I stared at her the more I could imagine our kids having playdates together.

"Ryan says he isn't ready. When I told him he asked me if I was joking," She bit her lip and cooed at Taylor, "Obviously, I wasn't. He doesn't want kids yet." She paused, "I don't know if he wants them ever."

"If he's anything like Justin he will want kids." I smiled, "Justin is already talking about more." I looked down at my belly, still swollen, but much smaller, "I can't even imagine more kids around here. More of our kids, but he's ready. Two weeks into our first and he's ready for more."

She smiled, "They're a lot different, Ryan and Chaz."

Both of us fell silent and for a minute neither of us said anything. Instead we watched Taylor. When she squinted up her nose and started crying, Sarah quickly held her out. I laughed and took her, sniffing her in the process. She didn't smell like poop just yet, but I knew it was coming.

the timer on my phone started to chirp and Sarah didn't move.

"I can't look." She mumbled, "Just tell me."

I took a step over to the counter, and although this test had nothing to do with me this brought back so many memories. I held Taylor closer and picked the stick up off the counter.

"Well?" Sarah mumbled, "What does it say?"

I sighed, "Thats a plus." was more of a mumble to myself then I blinked hard again and sighed. It wasn't changing, "You're pregnant."

She buried her face in her hands and started to cry.