Chapter 17: Landslide

- 17 Weeks Old : 12 Weeks Pregnant -

I listened to the wailing sirens as I wandered the halls. I was still not used to wandering the backstage and was still finding myself lost all the time.

So when I found the familiar, rusty water fountain, I knew which way to go. Left down the hall, past 6 more doors and then it was Justin's. I smiled to myself and continued down the hall. I also noticed that the music had stopped. Justin must be having an intermission.

Already?

I was getting close to the door now. I could hear a bunch of voices.

Somebody started to talk on stage. It wasn't Justin.

Something is wrong.

I quickened my pace to get to the room faster. Then I saw them.

A bunch of people were standing outside the dressing room staring in and a few paramedics were pushing past the crowd.

Justin.

I started to run and was quickly in the doorway. I saw a few people standing around the outside walls of the room. Pattie was standing over the paramedics with her hands over her mouth and tears in her eyes as they did CPR.

"Where's Justin?" I whispered and as if on cue he followed my speed into the room. Then my heart stopped and I started to shake my head.

Pattie closed the gap between us and grabbed me as my knees gave out.

Taylor.

"Not my baby!" I sobbed and as I slid to the floor in Patties arms I saw her. She was lying on the floor with the huge men above her. Her tiny eyes were closed, like she was sleeping.

From where the medics were working, I heard an automated voice, "Shock ready." The medics gave each other a few quick glances and then held their hands up. One reached over to a small plastic case and hovered a hand over the button on it, "Clear?" He mumbled then when each of the other two men gave him nods he pressed it and Taylor's body jolted.

The man that had been in control of the defibrillator shook his head, "Get her in the truck." Then they quickly moved her from the floor to the cot and resumed the CPR as they took the bed outside the room and towards an ambulance.

"Ma'm?" I heard a woman voice and turned to see another woman in a paramedic uniform, "We are taking her to the hospital now. Would you like to ride with us?"

I couldn't find my voice.

"No," Pattie answered for me through her own tears, "We will drive there now."

Then the paramedic woman nodded and followed the other men out the door. Pattie placed her hand on my back and led me out of the room. I felt Justin's hand slip into mine as we passed him and then we were off.

They had to shock her which meant that she didn't have a heart beat.

My tiny baby girl didn't have a heart beat and I had three.

I sobbed harder.

******

The hospital smelt like antibacterial hand sanitizer and bleach. It made me feel nauseas.