Chapter 8: Goodbye

- 8 Weeks Old -

When I woke up to my ringing phone, Jenny was the last person that came to mind, but I answered the phone without checking the ID. This is becoming a bad habit of mine, I thought, and pressed it to my ear.

"What?"

"Serrina, I need you." She panted, "Please."

I sat up and ran my hand over my hair, "What? What's wrong?"

Justin rolled over and stared at me.

I shook my head at him.

"This baby is coming." She was freaking out, "Oh my god, Serrina. I'm having my baby."

I didn't know what to say to her, so instead of speaking I just stayed quiet.

"What do I do?" She snapped at me.

"How far apart are your contractions?"

"I don't fucking know!"

I bit my cheek, "Are you going to the hospital?"

"Do I have much choice?"

I sighed, "Not really."

"Good, you'll meet me there, right?"

Justin was shaking his head at me, trying to figure out who I was talking to at 6 AM.

I rolled my eyes, "I guess." Then she hung up on me. I turned to look at Justin and shook my head, "In her own creative words, Jenny has asked me to be there when she gives birth."

"That's nice." He mumbled, "How much longer does she have? Until the baby comes, I mean."

"Could be an hour." I mumbled and his eyes widened, "She's on her way to the hospital so I should probably go."

He shook his head a little but didn't argue, "I'll hang out with Taylor." Then he grabbed my hip and pulled me to him so he could kiss my cheek, "I love you. If Chaz is there tell him congrats."

I nodded and got out of bed, heading to the bathroom and shutting the door so I could shower and get ready.

******

"I'm looking for Jenny-"

"Serrina?" I spun around and spotted Chaz sitting on the floor outside a room, "What are you doing here?"

I sighed and started walking towards him, "We are trying to be friends."

He nodded and pointed his thumb at the door beside him, "She's in there. They've already given her the epidural so she's relaxed."

I nodded and opened the door, walking in and pausing. Jenny was sitting in the bed with an oxygen mask in her hand and a woman was standing at the foot of her bed shaking her head.

"Mom, can you just leave?" I watched as Jenny turned her head and spotted me. Then the woman noticed me and left the room without saying anything else. She watched as the door clicked closed then stayed silent for a few more seconds before sighing and muttering, "I'm glad you're here."

I nodded and walked to the small chair beside her bed, "So am I."

She shook her head, "I don't know what to do."

"Well," I sat down and crossed my arms, "You push when they tell you to push."

"I mean about this adoption."

I bit my cheek, "Oh," I can't help you there.

"Yeah, my mom says no matter what I do I'm not allowed to go back home." Really? "If I have this baby, I'll be a mother and maybe I can finally be happy, but we would be homeless. If I give him away, I won't be a mom and I'll still be homeless."

I sighed, "Do you want my opinion?" She hesitated but nodded, "You won't be homeless forever. If you keep him, he might not remember being homeless If you can get a job and make enough to buy yourself a place. But if you keep him, there's the risk of not finding a job, not grating a house. Is that the way you want your kid to grow up?" She was staring at me, actually giving a shit about my opinion, "If you give him up, he will have a family who loves him. You said your mom already has people waiting, right?"

Jenny nodded, "A couple from their church."

"Then he would grow up in a good home and you wouldn't have to worry about him not growing up with everything he needs."

She turned away from me and pressed the oxygen mask over her face, "You're too smart."

I smiled, "Thanks."

"It wasn't a compliment."

I shrugged, "Yes it was."

She closed her eyes and sighed.

******

"Alright, Jenny. We are just about ready to start. Take a few minutes and prepare yourself. We are going to meet your son soon."

The doctor turned around from us and was fumbling around with a few things as nurses walked around the room getting it ready.

"Serrina? Can you please go get Chaz? I think I need him in here."

I nodded and she let go of my hand. She was shaking in fear. The last nine months had been leading up to this moment and she still wasn't sure if she was going to be a mother. I left the room quickly, wanting to be back fast.

Chaz still hadn't left the spot outside the 0 door so it was easy to find him.

"Hey," I mumbled and squatted beside him, "You okay?"

He shrugged and didn't say anything, "I'll be fine. How's she?"

I shook my head at him, "Not good. She's freaking out." When he didn't move I sat down and crossed my legs in front of him, "It's your kid, right?"

"I don't know." He was staring down at his black phone screen, "She screwed around on me a lot."

"But she loves you." I mumbled, "She does. You might not want her to but she really does and she needs you with her right now."

He glanced up at me like I had talked shit about his mom, "She doesn't get to need me. That's not fair." He shook his head, "When I needed her she was out fucking other guys."

"Don't make this about you," I snapped, "You're not allowed to do that. She is about to have a baby and you're out here pouting." I shook my head, "Grow up."

He was staring at me like I was a kid, which I was, but I had learned a lot my last year. I was much more knowledgable than I looked.

"Who let you grow up so fast?" He mumbled.

I shrugged and pushed myself up off the ground, "My daughter didn't give me much of a choice."

He laughed and stood up then reluctantly followed me into the room.

******

Jenny had asked me to wait outside the room, so I did. Chaz was holding her hand before I left though, and judging by her screaming, her labour was progressing much faster than mine did.

Lucky bitch...

I sighed and then her room fell quiet. As I sat and waited for something I was surprised by the door opening and the nurses wheeling out the small baby. He had been cleaned but his crying had never been stopped.

Why was he already leaving?

No.

She was giving him up. She was actually going to do it.

I felt tears rising at the edges of my eyes and blinked hard in an attempt to make them go away.

She hadn't even held him and she was ready to say goodbye...

I failed and they fell down my cheeks anyways.