Chapter 12: Where Did We Go Wrong

- 13 Weeks Old, 8 Weeks Pregnant -

When we walked into the hospital to take Ryan and Sarah home, the two other boys went straight to the elevator. I stopped at the Starbucks to grab myself a decaf tea.

But I never made it in because Sarah was sitting at a table with a couple, talking away and rubbing her belly.

She was sipping on a clear cup of water while the two other people smiled and nodded at her. Then they all stood up and Sarah reached out to shake their hands.

The smile on her face said that she was happy, but also nervous. When they started walking my way I began to walk past them. Both, the woman and the man smiled at me then the man wrapped his arm around her waist and kissed her cheek. I heard her say something to him as they walked past but couldn't make out the words.

Sarah must have spotted me because she had started walking my way. She sighed when she reached my and crossed her arms, "That's Juliet and her husband Ben."

I nodded and raised my eyebrows, "Oh, duh, Juliet and Ben."

Sarah rolled her eyes and smiled, "They want to adopt the baby."

Suddenly I widened my eyes, "Wait, really?" I hadn't realized that she was still so sure about that, "You're still sure about it all?"

"Yeah," she shrugged, "I mean, as much as it pissed me off that you got pregnant again, I still don't think I'm ready to be a mom."

I let a small smile grow on my lips, "I'm glad that you still know what you want."

She looked down at her belly. It was just starting to stick out now. She was 6 weeks ahead of my 8, so Sarah was 14 weeks.

"Did I tell you it's a boy?" She mumbled.

I looked up at her, "No."

She nodded, no longer in the smiley mood, "Yeah. I'm having a boy." Then her bottom lip started to shake and she pressed her palms into her eyes, "I'm having a boy and he won't be mine."

Considering she had already made a decision, I didn't want to tell her that she could still change her mind. She already knew that.

So, I comforted her by sitting quietly and holding her hand.

******

Ryan had a full cast over his right leg that came up to his knee and his left arm, up to his elbow, was held in a half cast. He looked completely normal other than that.

And when he saw Sarah had puffy eyes he just held his arms open for her, not asking questions. She waddled over and sat beside him on the bed.

"So you're like, part robot now?" Chaz was grinning.

"It's a few screws and rods in my leg." I could see Ryan's concern for Sarah but he didn't want to bring much attention to her, "It will take a while to heal but once it does it will be like normal."

Chaz had ignored most of Ryan's words, "Dude, you're going to set off all the metal detectors."

Ryan rolled his eyes, "Yeah,"

Justin laughed at them and then stepped beside me, "How's our baby squid?" He whispered in my ear.

"I thought it was a tadpole,"

He shook his head, "I like squid better."

He placed his hand on my slightly swollen tummy. It was barely noticeable unless you already knew, and even then it wasn't easy to spot.

"Like a little squirmy squid." He mumbled and kissed my cheek.

I shook my head and placed a hand over his on my tummy. The boys were still going on about how Ryan was now like a bionic man, and Sarah too occupied in her own thoughts to notice our little conversation.

But the door swung open and a man walked in. He must have been Ryan's doctor because him and Sarah perked up.

"Here's your release papers. Sign here and you're free to go. Just go easy on that foot. It's not healed and it won't be for a long time." He handed Ryan a clipboard and we watched as he scribbled on it, "And all you as his friends, don't let him do much. He's recovering from a shattered bone. It's going to take some time."

We all nodded and, in unison, mumbled Yes Sir's.

Then Ryan was being moved to a wheelchair and we were all walking together toward the doors.

Oh, Taylor was with Pattie. We had made plans to have date night but then Sarah called and asked us to come drive Ryan and her back to their place. So we had agreed.

I think it was safe to say Date Night was called off for the sake of Justin and his friends... They needed us more than we needed each other tonight.

******

The Skype call dinged a few times then it made a bloop sound and Krystal's face appeared on my laptop screen.

"Baby!" She mumbled, "I miss you. We need to hang soon."

I grinned, "God I've missed your obnoxious voice."

"Shut up. You love it."

I ran my finger up over the small bump in my stomach. She couldn't see anything lower than my boobs, which were covered in a sports bra, but I wanted to tell her.

"So I wanted to see you to tell you but we are both too busy," I smiled at her and sighed, "I'm pregnant again."

She stared at me through the camera and the smile I was expecting her to flash never came.

"What?" I mumbled, "Are you okay?"

She slowly began to shake her head, "No." Then she sighed, "What are you doing? Why would you have another baby so fast?" Then she looked away from the screen and shook her head again, "You remember that you're only 15, right?"

I bit my cheek and turned my head a little, "Are you really saying that? I know I'm young. I know it's probably not the smartest thing for me to do," I took a few breath, "But I'm happy. Okay, Krystal? I'm really happy right now and you're being an ass."

"I'm being an ass?" She scoffed and shook her head, "Serrina, you have no time for your friends anymore. You have this exciting new life and suddenly the one you grew up with isn't good enough. When was the last time you spoke to your mom?"

I suddenly realized how right she was.

"Yeah, she's had a lot of change recently. Maybe you should call her." I had never heard Krystal so mad at me, "And I need you to figure out if I'm still a priority to you because I'm done taking a backseat to your new life." Then she sighed, "So, I'm done. Don't call me for a while."

The Skype call ended.