Chapter 43

~Aya

The council members' eyes were set wide in absolute shock, no one daring to utter a sound, too absorbed with Jace's act of rationalism.

I wanted to shout and tell him to stop this nonsense. No one will benefit from those two fighting each other. I didn't doubt Jace winning one bit, but I had no desire repeating the nerve wracking of him being in coma.

I can't go through that, not again.

I parted my lips to say something but my voice somehow seemed stuck in my throat, not allowing any sound to escape my lips.

I turned to Vixen, pleading him with my eyes to stop this but all he did was purse his lips and shake his head, knowing that it's not his place to interfere in the presence of the kings.

He was tense as well, his eyes inspecting the situation unfolding in front of him with calculating eyes. I followed his narrowed eyes, curious to see what got him glaring daggers all of a sudden.

Silas was grinning like this was some sort of a game, thrilled to get started that he even clapped his hands together once to show that he was enjoying the show.

"How touching, really. You're challenging me to show the princess the hero you are and thereby prove that you're a man." He tilted his head to the side, providing himself a better angle to take me in from head to toe.

I grimaced, disgusted with the way he was seizing me up like a piece of meat. Jace's posture stiffened, clenching his hands into fists, his stance widening in a fighting position.

"Dad." I urged breathlessly, my eyes still focused on Jace, hoping that he wouldn't do something stupid and attack Silas without him actually accepting Jace's challenge. The kings should also give him the green right or else it'll be taken as an act of defiance and disrespect.

A prince or not, he will get punished if he does so. A law is a law especially in the presence of all four kings of the supernatural world. I didn't miss the nods of agreement the kings were giving each other, Uncle Bryson being the first.

Being a werewolf himself, he fully understands why his son has challenged Silas. Their primal instinct to kill anyone that dares to hurt their mates takes over and it's extremely difficult to control the drive to attack.

Jace most surely didn't take it lightly having his mate kidnapped and almost drained to death so it's nearly impossible for him to hold back his raging wolf when the man responsible for all of this is standing right there of him wearing a twisted smirk on his face.

"Very well then, but the fight will not happen within these walls but in the arena outside the castle." Dad stated, standing tall and powerful on his feet, descending down the few steps to where Jace stood.

He ushered the guards to take Silas out not even sparing him a glance and I was more than happy to see the harshness of their grip and the roughness of their tug as they hauled Silas out.