Chapter 36

~Aya

The chains rustled as I yet again attempted to break free, or tried convincing myself that I might. It was foolish of me to think that I could out strength metal, but it was worth a shot. Again and again but the cackling of chains taunted me, as if saying that I'm never getting out of here.

"Someone help!" I cried out but deep down I knew it was useless to do so. Everyone in this house is probably with Silas, wherever the hell he is, or just ignoring my very existence.

"Please, help me!" My throat hurt from all the screaming that I began coughing wanting the pain to subside.

I didn't say anything else, surrendering to the fact that no one's going to help me. It felt like one of those moments where the princess will never get her happily ever after, but instead die in a rotten hole waiting for her captor to drain the life out of her.

My mind went back to the night I willingly handed myself to Silas after reading his threat. Maybe I could have avoided all of this by giving my father the letter and letting him take the lead of things. Would Silas have dared to actually kill one of the royals?

He definitely would've.

Blankly staring at the floor, I let my thoughts carry me into this endless rotating cycle of what –ifs. I didn't regret my decision; after all I took that choice to keep my family safe. But then again, they're out here somewhere searching for me and will face Silas.

So my plan for protecting them has gone to waste. But what did I expect, for them to leave me in the hands of a beast knowing that he'll eventually kill me? I should've considered my options twice but I was too caught up in the moment.

Though my heart acted on its own accord, putting the people I love first, but what's done is done. There's no time machine to let me go back and change the events, so hollowing in self-pity will get me nowhere.

But of course, the pessimistic side of me ruined my determination to remain strong willed and have faith in Jace, squeezing in the possible chance of him getting hurt while encountering Silas.

A lump in my throat formed and I cursed Silas with every ounce of sanity I had left. If anything happens to Jace I would happily welcome death, probably jumping off a cliff to end my life. I can't stand that possibility and though it's minimal, it's still there.

I drew in a wavering breath to calm my nerves and swallowed difficultly blinking away the tears. Jace is the secret to my smile, the key to my happiness and my light in this very dark world. Fate didn't pear us together for nothing, we're the gate to something bigger, something unknown.

At least, that's what my heart's telling me.

I let out a frustrated sigh and pulled my knees inward, resting my chin on top of them and wishing I could just burn the metal clasped around my wrists and flee for my life.