Chapter 25

~Aya

I nervously fiddled with my fingers as I sat on one of the armchairs of Jace's study. The deadliness of his stare when he ordered us to meet him here had Leila and I secure off like we were running from an invasion.

We didn't need to be told twice, darting out of the hallway and into his study. It was the first time I see Leila that scared, to an extent that she was about to shit in her pants.

I don't blame her though, I didn't look any better. The look on my face was probably ten times worse. It was the first time Jace uses that kind of authoritative tone on me. The love that usually radiates his eyes when he stares at me was gone, replaced by nothingness.

And I hated it.

I know, I know, burning Veronica's wrists wasn't a good move on my part but she asked for it. It wasn't like I was going to let her distort my face with those scrappy claws of hers.

It may have looked like I was the one attacking her not the other way round, which is why I understood Jace's sheer resentment.

"We're toasted." Leila stated, putting a hand under her chin.

"Thanks to you and your criminal mind." I grumbled, watching the grim line of her lips turn into a scowl.

"So much for backing me up." She huffed, slumping lower on the sofa and crossing a leg over the other.

The door opened and my attention instantly locked on Jace. I was surprised to see Vixen come in just after him, but the disapproving look he sent us made my heart sink.

Even you, Vix.

"Do you realize the seriousness of the situation you two put me in?" My eyes snapped back to Jace, the coldness of his eyes made the familiar sense of dread crawl into me.

Neither Leila or myself said a word.

"Dying her hair blue and burning her wrists. I'm disappointed in you, both of you." I swallowed seeing his eyes zero on me. I'm a hundred percent sure Veronica told him a couple of lies to make us seem like the bad guys.