Chapter 14

Important author's note at the end! Please read it. 💜

~Aya

We walked through the forest's ground inhaling its fresh earthy scent. The fine oak trees' leaves rustled as the wind whistled around its thick trunks. Rays of light penetrated in between them making the dimness surrounding us subside.

Our feet shuffled through the forest's ground, which was covered in fallen leaves and branches. I've never entered this part of the forest before, always lingering around its edges. But I definitely didn't expect it to be this fascinating. No wonder Jace always goes for runs, it was extremely quiet, the perfect place to clear a person's mind.

I raised my head to observe the path ahead of us, letting the light dance along my skin. Hopefully, the place he's taking me to won't take much longer. We've been walking for around twenty minutes and I was starting to get a little tired.

"We're almost there." He murmured looking back at me. Taking note of my heavy breathing, Jace smirked. I huffed in annoyance trailing behind him. Sorry to break it to you buddy, but not all of us are used to long walks.

I was taken by surprise when Jace abruptly stopped and being only a step behind him, I bumped into his rock hard back. Jeez, what is it made up of, steel?

"Sorry." I mumbled, my voice barely audible out of embarrassment. Feeling the heat rushing to my cheeks, I looked anywhere but him avoiding his gaze. He chuckled but said nothing, determined to continue down the path.

Whenever the leafy branches blocked our way, Jace pushed them aside allowing me to pass through. A gentleman, he is. My curiosity spiked up the moment I heard the sound of water flowing.

There's a waterfall here?

Due to the fact that Jace walked in front of me, I couldn't see anything ahead, especially since only trees surrounded us on either sides. As the soil got damper, the sound of the water flowing became clearer and clearer.

"We're here."

I gasped at the beauty in front of me. The white water cascaded down the rocky outcrops, and flowed in a series of several waterfalls to be poured into a blue river. It stood out in the amidst of the green of the forest, emitting the scent of moss and wild mint. I took a deep breath standing in awe, savoring the moment.

"Amazing isn't it?" I pried my eyes of the waterfall and stared into Jace's light green orbs. The color of the water reflected into his eyes, making them appear more of an ocean blue.

"It's just – wow." No words could describe its beauty. He chuckled taking a few step ahead, so his feet were just above the river.

"I found it a while ago and ever since, I started coming frequently. It was the first time I run deep into a territory not my own, especially your father's." I grinned knowingly. Our forests were well-known of being mysterious. Tales said that creatures lurked in the shadows of the night, but of course I didn't believe so.

"It's beautiful, takes my breath away every single time." His tone softened and his eyes were looking at me the whole time. I nodded my head in agreement but I felt like there was an underlying meaning to his words.

But it couldn't be, I quickly pushed that thought away. Though I wanted them to.

Hearing Jace sigh, I turned so I was now facing him. He's acting strange and I knew that whatever was going inside his head is frustrating him.

"Jace, are you okay?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. Of course he wasn't, but I wanted to find out what's going on.

"I didn't tell anyone of this place because it felt special, to me at least. I brought you here because I wanted us to share this memory together." He took a deep breath, stepping closer to me until his face was inches above mine. I couldn't move, I didn't want to.