Chapter 18

~Jace

I paced my room, back and forth, getting more infuriated by the second as I waited for Mason. With the whole chosen deal, I knew no one could help me but Mason so I talked to him first thing after I hung up with Aya.

I told him of my plan, returning to their kingdom and explaining the chaos to Aya. A flight back to their kingdom would've been too risky, it couldn't be arranged without my father knowing.

Luckily though, Mason had a lot of connections. He's close acquainted with a powerful witch that could help me reach the kingdom in a blink of an eye. And how so, though a portal.

"The fûck's taking him so long." I growled taking a look at my watch. It was half past eleven. Only half an hour until midnight, and Mason is still nowhere in sight. I swear I'm going to knock his head of someday because of his belatedness.

I couldn't stand waiting for him any longer like a damsel in distress. Not when there's just half an hour left till the clock ticks twelve.

Just as I was about to storm out of my room, the door opened and Mason stepped inside, an apologetic look on his face.

"Took you look enough." I growled, narrowing my eyes. '

"Yeah, sorry about that, I lost track of time. Anyway, the witch is in the room right across the hall waiting for us. We should get going." No shit Sherlock.

I sighed and walked beside him. There weren't any signs of night shift guards, so the coast was clear. Mason definitely had a hand in this, probably giving them the night off and being their beta, they had to comply.

Turning right, we crossed three rooms and stopped at the fourth.

"Here we go." He glanced at me for a moment before turning the knob and opening the door. Stepping inside, I was engulfed with darkness. The only light source in the room were the candles lit on the table along with a glowing globe.

Sensing us approaching, a woman with dark red hair raised her head setting her eyes on Mason. Slowly, a small smile played on her thin lips. 

"Prince Jace, this is Nita, the witch I told you about." Mason introduced, sitting down opposite to her. A strange aura surrounded her, making me thinking twice of whether or not she was covering her scent.

But I had no time to demand answers. I glanced at my watch again growing impatient, twenty minutes left.

"Your highness." Nita stated, removing a hand from under her dark cloak and ushering me to sit down. I took a seat and without saying any other word, she began chanting spells in an unfamiliar language.

The candles flared and the globe started glowing bright red, a gust of white haze dancing around its edges.

As she raised her hands, the four candles' fire elongated and swirled upwards, meeting in the middle. I watched silently, my eyes wide in shock. It was the first time I witness a witch actually casting a spell, or in my case, opening a portal.

To my utter disbelief, the haze started moving upwards, dancing with the fire until it turned to a pale blue. From the corner of my eyes, I spotted Mason gawking. And I couldn't blame him; this was out of the ordinary.

Like a lightning bolt it struck, creating a passageway in the middle of the wall. The pale blue changed into darker shades but nonetheless shimmered magically.

"This is the portal, your highness." I heard Nita say.

My legs moved on their own accord, standing up and sauntering towards it.