•48•

•Mara's POV•

My eyes slowly crack open as some commotion from outside wakes me.

I sit up on my elbow and wipe my eye, trying to feel more awake. Getting out of bed, I walk to the blinds and open them, waiting fro the bursting sunshine to break though.

But it doesn't, instead the luminous moonlight makes my room feel gloomy.

I walk to the digital clock by my bed and see the time is three o'clock in the morning, it's also then that I see the letter that I'm sure wasn't there before.

Sitting back on my bed, I turn my lamp and grab the letter. When I see it's addressed to me, I rip open the back.

'Who could that be from?' Snow asks.

'I'm not sure.' I reply.

I pull out the letter inside and hold it, still folded, in my hand.

'What are you waiting for?' Snow asks.

'What if it's something bad?' I reply.

'What if it's something good?" She asks back.

'I just have a bad feeling.' I say.

'You'll never know unless you read it. Come on, the suspense is killing me.' She whines.

I let out a breath and read it quietly to myself.

"Dear Samara,

Seeing you these last few weeks has been something I only dreamed of, and something your mother dreamed of too. I always thought that the night we dropped you off at that doorstep, it would be out last meeting.

Even though I feel I have failed you as a father, someone daughters look up to their whole lives, I still know you have lived the life your mother and I wanted.

I know you have so many questions, and they are just things I still cannot answer, but I just hope that what I have given you is enough for now.

Yesterday, I made a promise to you that I am regretful to say I just can't keep. I can't just barge into your life now, you're still so young in this world, and I think you need to keep living it like you are.

I'm so happy that you have someone like Ryder, he is a strong man who loves you very much and  I know will keep you safe.

Of course, this is not goodbye forever. I know one day will will meet again, and on that day, when you are older, I will explain anything and everything you wish to know. That is a true promise.

There is one more piece of information I want to give you, and that your mother especially wanted to give you, is that the tiger shifter gene is passed down every female.

Mara, I'm am very proud of you. You have grown to be a strong, confident young lady and I give you my best for future years, even though I will not be the one walking you down the aisle, I know that your true father will be.

My love always,

George."

I gentle tear falls from my eye as I trace my finger over his name.

Suddenly the door opens and Ryan sticks his head in.

I quickly wipe the tear away and smile, "Hey."

"Hey," He replies, "I saw the light on."

I nod and pat the bed space next to me. He comes over and sits beside me, his eyes trained on the letter in my hands.