•32•

•Ryder's POV•

Why is it that whenever Mara is around Cam her mind-link switches off?

I find I can never get to her when she is talking to him, like there is a barrier between us.

It's been just under an hour now and to say I'm worried now is an understatement.

Mandy puts a hand on my shoulder, "Ryder calm down, there's warriors looking for her."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

"I was so stupid, why would I let her go out alone?" I say.

"None of this is your fault Ryder." Layla says from the other side of room. She's a little panicked too because Trent's patrol finished almost an hour ago too, and he's not responding either.

"Ryder?" I hear Mara faintly through the mind-link.

I instantly stand up, getting everyone in the rooms attention. That being Mandy, Layla, Josh and Cole.

"Mara, where are you?"  I ask.

"I need help, I'm coming up to the pack house now." She says.

"Come on." I say to everyone. They jump up and we walk outside.

When I look up I see Mara coming through the forest, supporting a very tired and drained looking Trent.

Layla and I run forward and the others follow close behind.

"What happened?" I ask, taking Trent from Mara, since he's a lot heavier than her.

Mara starts breaking down into tears, "H-he died, and then something happened, and I did something, and he woke up. It was horrible." She sobs.

Layla and Mandy come up and wipe her tears away, giving her hugs. I wish I could too, but I need to tend to my Third who is berely staying awake.

"Dad, get the pack doctor to the pack house, Trent's hurt." I mind-link dad.

"Of course son." He replies.

I look around the forest, "Come on, lets get inside." I say.

Everyone nods and we go inside, I go up and lay Trent down on one of the spare beds in the guest room of the pack house.

"I don't get it." He mumbles.

"Don't get what?" I reply.

"I-I'm sure." He says.

"You're sure what?" I ask.

"I'm sure I died." He says.

I frown and am about to ask more, but I feel the presence of the pack doctor coming in.

I look up and he bows his head at me, "Alpha."

I nod back, "Hello, treat my third with the best care." I say.

"Of course." He replies.

I walk down the stairs to see Mara sitting on the couch with a blanket over her and a cup of hot tea in her hands.

I slide in next to her and pull her to me by her waist, knowing that the matebond will ease her a little.

The others come in and sit down.

"How is he?" Layla asks.

I give her a small smile, "He seems fine, just a little tired maybe. Mara, you need to tell us what happened." I say, looking down at her.

She nods and takes her head off my shoulder, putting her tea onto the coffee table in front of her.

She explains how Cam threatened her and she found Trent with the stick in his side. Then how he died and she felt hopeless.