Forgetting is Not an Option, And Perfection Is A Necessity

Beep... Beep... Beep!

"Ugh... you're alarms going off, Trick."

He groaned and rolled over.

I hit the snooze button and sat up. "Trick..." I mumbled. "Leave me alone, Pete... it's yours, not mine."

Then I remembered. I jumped out of bed and got ready to go.

-At.The.Airport-

"Pete!" Patrick's Grandma walked up to me and engulfed me in a hug.

"Hello, Mrs. Stump." I said.

"Please, call me grandma. Where is Patrick?"

"He's at home, should be getting ready to go." I looked at my watch. "He had a meeting with and old friend." I said.

"Well this is perfect! We can get to know each other a little more!"

I smiled. "Yeah."

-Back.At.The.House-

"You have such a cute little house. I bet you have to clean up after Patrick, huh?" his grandma asked.

I chuckled and scratched the back of my neck. "Its actually the other way around."

She laughed. "How's Patrick been since his parents... you know..." her voice trailed off.

I nodded. "He's been coping with it. I'm really proud of him. Most people take on a more... painful route... but he's strong."

"That's a factor he gets from his father. I bet it helps you're here for support." She put a hand on My cheek and gave me a sad smile.

I smiled back. "He has a lot of people here to support him. Its not just me."

"But you play a big part. He loves you, Pete. And he's a very lucky guy. Just like you."

"Pete, I'm home! I hope... Oh, hi, grandma!" Patrick walked in the door and looked at hos grandma.

"Oh, my sweet little grandson!" His grandmother engulfed him in a hug.

He hugged her back.

"We were just talking about you. Pete says you clean up after him."

Patrick chuckled. "Yeah, he's a pig when he wants to be."

I crinkled my nose. "Am not!" I said.

He rolled his eyes. "Sure, babe. What ever."

"Too cute... I swear... they need to replace the puppies on that animal planet show with you guys... The show would be a whole lot more cuter."

Patrick and I laughed.

-Later.That.Night-

I had something big planned for Patrick, and it was really important. This little thing could make or break me. I was sitting at the computer looking at the possible things I could buy. There were so many to choose from.

I felt a hand rest on my shoulder.

Thinking it was Patrick, I quickly minimized the screen.

"No, it's me." His grandma sat down next to be with a big smile and tears in her eyes. "Do you need help?"

I sighed and nodded, rubbing my hand over my face. "I just want it to be perfect." I said.

She smiled. "I'll be right back." she went back to the guest room and came back with her wallet.

"No, you don't-"

"Sh! I insist!"

I smiled at her. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." she smiled back.
(After a few hours of strained searching and almost getting caught a couple times, they finally found what they were looking for.)

"I'll keep Patrick out of the house so you can go get it and come back. I hope you have a plan on how you're going to do this." she said.

I shrugged. "I'll wing it." I smiled.

She rolled her eyes. "Boys, I swear... Think of it tonight. Nothing last minute. It has to be perfect... remember?"

I nodded and looked at the head of the stairs where our bedroom door lay, closed. "I can't thank you enough." I sighed.

"Don't worry about it, you gave my grandson a life, happiness and even though he already had it, meaning." She stood up and gave me a hug, then walked back to the room and shut the door.

I stared at the screen that still had the surprise on it. Then I closed out of it and headed up stairs where I found Patrick with his back to the door. I slowly laid down next to him and snuck my arms around him.

He sighed. "Now will you tell me what you were doing?" he asked.

"Nope."

"Why?"

"Wait until tomorrow if you must know."

"But I wanna know now!" he said, rolling over to face me.

I kissed his forehead, nose then lips. "Patients, Boo... now, g'night! I love you."

I could tell he couldn't help but smile. He snuggled closer to me and we fell asleep.