Part 22: Final Chapter

"I'm sorry Miss Juno, such large unexpected news can affect people in different ways. Maybe he'll be back."

Dr. Schwarz says softly with a gentle smile and hand on my shoulder. At this moment, his words mean nothing to me. I sit there with my face in my hands.

"Thank you Dr. Schwarz, but I would just like to be alone right now."

"Of course-

he turns to leave.

-let me know if you need anything, I'll be back in a couple hours to check your stats."

I nod slightly in response. As soon as he leaves, I start to sob. My mind starts to race. He's gone. I'm alone. I'm fucking pregnant and I'm on my own now. How is this real? I pause for a second and put my hands on my already chubby stomach and start to rub slowly. I begin to cry harder. I don't stop until I fall asleep in the bed.

*****

-Five Hours Later-

My panic starts to die down. There has been no sign of Dexter, but all I do is sit in silence, spaced out, and heartbroken. I absent-mindedly flip through the channels on the small T.V.  in the top right corner of the room. Dr. Schwarz wants to keep me here for the night to make sure I'm stable and on the right track in my pregnancy before I leave. However, at this point, I'm not sure where I'd go. 

I eat my gross little hospital meal of chicken soup and a bottle of blue Gatorade, the only thing that doesn't make me completely nauseous just thinking about eating. After that, I end up crying myself back to sleep again.

*****

I'm startled awake by the big door to the room closing. I expect it to be Dr. Schwarz again, but whoever walked in didn't turn on the light. The footsteps get closer to the bed. This is unsettling to me, but I don't have the motivation to move and see who it is. I pretend I'm still asleep. A hand brushes on my shoulder.

"Juno?"

I violently twist around to face the mysterious person in my room. I can only see a faint outline from the moonlight coming through the window.

"Hey hey, I'm sorry here, I'll turn on the light."

My mood turns from careless to dark. The blinding light turns back on and I squint to see exactly who I thought it was. My tone is harsher than I expect.

"Dexter."

Immediate guilt floods his face. He slowly makes his way back to the side of the bed. I sit up, uneasy with my anger bubbling to the surface. 

"Juno, sweetie, I am so sorry!"

He leans in to hug me. Before he can, my hand reaches up and smacks him across the face unintentionally hard. Dexter flinches, but my strength is no match for him.

"Ow."

"YOU LEFT!"

I practically scream at him as he rubs his cheek.

"I know, Juno, if you let me explai-"

"NO! I sat here, I had just found out that I'm fucking pregnant! And-and you leave me here! Alone!"