Chapter Thirty-Seven

"Echoes from the otherworld turn horizons into endless ever present" -Klaxons

"So what's the plan?" Ana asked Tristan as they sat in their prison.

"They'll have to open the door when they bring the food in, they'll be distracted and they'll have their hands full. That's when we make our move. You cause a distraction, I'll knock them out and we make a run for it," Tristan plotted.

"What if there are more than two? You can't take on more than two guards by yourself and I don't even know how to throw a punch," Ana questioned.

"Don't worry about that. Leave that to me. You do your part and I'll do mine. It's our only chance," he said to her. "Once we find a way out of here we'll have to navigate through the institute and find Sienna before we bust out of this place,"

"We're going to need some kind of map. Who knows how big this place is," Ana mused.

"We'll figure that part out as we go. Or maybe we can slip up to find her quicker-" Tristan was saying when suddenly the door to the room swung open. They were caught off guard.

"Food's here, psychos," the guard said in a derogatory voice. Tristan saw red but he made an effort to remain calm. They couldn't give themselves away and ruin their only chance of escaping. He was pleased to see that the lunch lady was only accompanied by one escort guard. There was one other guard outside of the cell and that was it. Tristan could take him on any day. He was great at one on one combat. All he had to do was take his weapon away and it would be a fair fight.

As if on cue, Ana started screaming and thrashing around like a truly insane person. The lunch lady dropped the trays in shock and the guard moved to restrain Ana. Tristan jumped quickly into action. He pushed the lunch lady to the ground and attacked the guard. He came up from behind the guard as he was occupied with Ana and surprised him. When the guard turned around, Tristan punched him right in the face. The guard was disoriented for a few seconds, which was all the time Tristan needed to grab his weapons. He quickly located the tranquilizer and gun and knocked the guard out.

The lunch lady was screaming in the corner, with a terrified expression. It was as if her wildest nightmare had come alive. Ana ran out of the room yelling like a mad woman and distracted the other guard. With one guard unconscious and the other trying to restrain Ana, Tristan had time to shoot the lunch lady with the tranquilizer and run out of the cell.

When the conscious guard realized what was going on, it was too late. Tristan shot him too with the tranquilizer and he dropped to the floor. There. Two guards down in record time. Tristan felt a bit bad about the poor lunch lady since she was just doing her job but there really was no other way. If they let her go, she'd alert the rest of the security and staff of what had happened and that would be the end of them.

Tristan dragged the remaining unconscious guard to the cell and locked all three of them inside. Ana followed Tristan as they made their way out of the room and into a gray hallway. Was everything gray in this place?

Ana glanced up and cursed under her breath.

"What is it?" Tristan asked but his question was answered when he looked up and saw the security cameras. "Crap."

"This isn't going to work. They'll be down here in seconds when they see we escaped," Ana pointed out.

"I have an idea," Tristan said as he went back down to the lower part of the institute where the cells were. He quickly unlocked the door to the prison and checked to make sure all three people were still unconscious. He quickly began undressing the leaner guard.