Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

"She'll burn our horizons, make no mistake" -Muse

Silence descended upon the room after the news filled Sienna's ears. Everyone had seemed to stop their activities as they listened to Mrs. Hale's words. It took Sienna a minute to process what she'd just been told. Cured? Could it really be true? Or was this another deceit from Mrs. Hale's part?

She tried to remain as calm and emotionless as possible. She'd been lied to before and she knew what disappointment felt like. She didn't want to get her hopes up if it was some kind of test, trick or mistake.

If it was true, however, this changed everything.

'I can have a normal life', a part of her brain couldn't help but imagine all the possibilities.

Society would accept her. She could join a normal school and have friends. In the future she could maybe even start a family with someone special, with Tristan maybe, and lead a normal life. But most importantly, her parents would accept her.

Sienna heard her heart beat increase on the machine as she let her imagination run wild.

"Did you hear what I said, Sienna?" Mrs. Hale interrupted her fantasies.

"I heard," she stated. It was funny how they weren't referring to her as the patient or E-62 anymore. Now that she was cured they were using her name to address her.

"Well you don't seem very excited about the good news," she said back with an arched eyebrow.

"How can I be sure that you're not lying? Or that you haven't made a mistake? It wouldn't be the first time," she said coldly.

"I can understand why you would be doubtful. It's practically a miracle. I can show you the test results and scans from our highly trained team of doctors and researchers but somehow I don't think that would convince you. You will see in time for yourself. You'll notice how your paranoid thoughts will no longer plague your mind and how the voices in your head will no longer speak to you. Surely you must have noticed something different in the last few weeks? The medication started taking effect about a month ago. It's slow at first but once your brain assimilates it and your body adopts the medication as its own, the process is very quick." Mrs. Hale informed.

Sienna couldn't believe how she'd just admitted to giving people strange medication without their knowledge or consent and she didn't even seem to feel guilty about it. All she cared about were the results.

"I want to see the tests," Sienna said, choosing not to comment on the subject of her mental state in the last few weeks. In truth she'd actually felt a lot more stable and the voices had indeed disappeared a while back. At first she'd thought it was another stage of her insanity but then she'd realized it was in fact true. She didn't want to give Mrs. Hale any more information than what she already had though.

She would avoid revealing anything until she understood completely what was going on. She couldn't risk handing out any helpful information to these people when they still held Tristan and Ana captive. Even though it was seeming a bit confusing with the new information, in her mind they were still the enemy.

On Mrs. Hale's command, the doctor who sat by the computer rushed to their side and handed her a folder. Mrs. Hale looked it over before passing it on to Sienna.

She took a deep breath and revealed its contents.

The reports were several pages long and everything was typed in very small lettering. It was a bit difficult to read but Sienna didn't care. She had to know what was in these files.