Chapter Twenty Five

Chapter Twenty Five

"I wanna hide the truth, I wanna shelter you but with the beast inside there's nowhere we can hide " -Imagine Dragons

"Tristan!" Sienna yelled down the hall as she spotted the dark haired boy. To her utter disappointment, he kept walking.

"Tristan! Wait up," she tried again, louder this time, hopping her previous words had simply been lost to him among the chaos that was the school halls. Unfortunately, several heads turning her way disproved her theory. Everyone had heard her, including him. He was definitely ignoring her. She had expected that but she'd still hopped he would at least let her explain. Of course hope and expectations were two completely different things.

She raced through the crowd of students until she was able to reach him. She tapped his shoulder feeling like a stranger trying to get another's attention. He didn't even glance back in curiosity. It was as if he knew it was her.

When she was about to give up she mustered up some courage and stood in front of him. He rolled his eyes and tried to go around her but she blocked him. She grabbed his hand with both of hers and said "I'm sorry," with as much feeling as she could gather. Uncertainty was clear on his face as he thought for a moment. Then his eyes went from cold to warm and he gave into her. He let her lead him away from the crowded halls and to the lockers. Most of the students had already gotten their books so the area was fairly clear of unwanted ease droppers.

"I didn't mean to stand you up. It was an accident. Things just got a little crazy and I-"

"You forgot because I'm just not that important to you." He said looking away. Was that hurt she detected in his voice? Oh boy. This was more serious than she thought.

"No! I mean I did forget but that's not why. You do mean a lot to me. Can't you see that? I feel terrible about ditching you unintentionally. Why would I be apologizing if I didn't?"

He shrugged but refused to meet her eyes.

"Tristan look at me, please," she begged.

"Look Sienna I like you but I really don't understand what it is that you want from me," he finally said after a moment of awkward silence.

"I just want us to be happy together," she replied.

"You say that like it's the easiest thing in the world. Sienna in case you haven't noticed, we're both insane. Two crazy people don't equal sanity. Let's just get on with our lives. We'll meet up again when it's time to leave this place. Until then, avoid talking to me ok? It's for our own good. Also, don't ever yell my name across the hallway. Do you know how much attention you've brought to us? We need to lay low," he said finally looking her in the eyes, "Anyway, I gotta go. I'm going to be late to class."

He turned away and was about to start walking when she grabbed his arm. He sighed but didn't pull away.

"Since when do you care about being on time to class, Tristan?"

"Since I decided I wanted to get out of this hellhole. It's part of the plan of laying low. You should try it instead of skipping lunch and class to hang out in the shower." He said with bitterness. Sienna was about to say something back when realization hit her. The shower? How did he know she had skipped class? He wasn't in her afternoon class with her and it wasn't like he was friends with Parry or Scarlet. They didn't even talk so how did he know she had stayed behind in the shower?

The signs were there but she didn't want to believe them.

Oh my God, is he my stalker? She couldn't help the thought crossing her mind. She quickly let go of his hand as if he had a disease. Tristan was the only person she trusted in this school. If she didn't have him, she had no one.