Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine

"It's who we are. Doesn't matter if we've gone too far. Doesn't matter if it's all okay. Doesn't matter if it's not our day,"–Imagine Dragons

Sienna opened her eyes bright and early the next day. Even though she had barely been able to sleep she had woken up before the sun, something that never happened. She decided to stay in bed a few more minutes and enjoy the silence. She tried not to overthink what she was predicting would happen today but it was hard. All she could do was obsess about it all night. She wondered if Tristan was having the same problem. Was he awake as well?

The rays of the sun slowly rising reminded her of a small child waking up and stretching their arms in the morning. That was her cue.

Today was the big day. The rise of the sun brought hope to Sienna.

She got ready and placed her packed bag in the closet. She wasn't planning on going anywhere yet but she knew she needed to have it ready in case everything went well and she and Tristan were able to make their escape soon. She was nervous to say the least. Tristan didn't know about her plan to stay and help. If he did he wouldn't allow it.

Sienna took her time getting ready. Since it was probably her last day here she studied all the little details in the room. She definitely wouldn't miss it but she still wanted to remember it for some reason. It had become an immense part of her life. Whether she liked it or not, this had been the hand life had dealt her. An abrupt knock to the door alerted her of someone's presence outside. Could it be Tristan? Before her mind could conjure up any other possibilities she went to open the door. To her shock, a teacher and a guard stood there as if waiting to collect her.

"Sienna Maddison?" the teacher asked dragging her eyes from the list she held.

"Yes?" the hesitation was clear on her face. What was this about?

"We're here to escort you to the gym for your vaccination. Please come with us," she informed. Oh no. This wasn't part of the plan. Tristan had said they would be too busy and distracted to notice anyone missing right away. He had clearly been wrong. Had they gotten to him already?

"Oh...now?" she questioned.

"Yes. It won't take long. Come along," the teacher said practically pulling her out of the room. Sienna had no choice but to lock it. The plan had changed. These were the circumstances she had to handle now. Sienna studied the door before she closed it behind her. It would be the last thing she saw of the room before she locked it forever. She glanced at some girls exiting from the doors to her right. These had been the people she had had to cope with. She had seen them every day for the past few months and suddenly she would most likely never see them again. It was a strange feeling.

Sienna marched down the stairs routinely but everything was different today. The guards and teachers waited for everyone to descend the stairs before following behind. At 8 o' clock sharp she heard the voice blare out from the school speakers reminding the students about the mandatory vaccination everyone had to attend at the gym. She saw more teachers up ahead escorting students to the gym in rows. It was like watching animals being herded to the slaughterhouses.

The worst part was witnessing the innocent and unknowing faces of the students as they walked. They had no idea what they were cooperating with. No one bothered to ask questions. They simply followed instructions like obedient zombies.

Sienna had a sudden urge to run the other way but she couldn't do that without raising suspicion. She had to play the part of an unknowing student. Things would fall apart if anyone noticed she had insider information. She tried to spot anyone she knew in the crowd to no avail. She didn't have a doubt that everyone had attended, though. Everyone except for Tristan, she hoped. He was the key part of this plan.