Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"This is what you get, this is what you get, this is what you get when you mess with us,"-Radiohead

"Experiments? Tristan, what are you talking about? You sound like a crazy person right now," Sienna said sounding alarmed. So many questions were rushing through her head at once.

"Sienna I'm not crazy or lying to you. This is real. I read all about it. We need to leave. I'm only telling you this because...because I care about you. You're the only one I've told. Please believe me and if you don't then just read it for yourself," he told her in desperation. Sienna tried not to be distracted by the fact that he had admitted to caring about her and focused on her questions.

"But how can I be sure that these documents are real? How can I be sure that you didn't just type them up yourself?"

"Why would I make up something so serious? Do you think I have nothing better to do? Are you going to risk your life just because you think I'm making all this up? What if I'm right? Then what? Once you decide to stay here there's no going back. That's it. I'm giving you a chance at survival." He was so serious it was hard not to believe him.

"But then if all this is true...if what you're saying is all going to happen then we have to try and stop it. We can't just leave everyone else behind. What about all our friends and the teachers? They're innocent too,"

"I don't have any friends here and I'm sorry but I'm not trying to be the hero of the story. We can't save everyone. If we started telling people no one would believe us and we'd get in real trouble with the heads of this whole operation. Don't you think they'd find out about the information we know?"

"But-but we can't just leave. It's cruel! If this is true then that means everyone is going to die here,"

"Look I didn't tell you this so you'd want to save the world now. I told you because I want to save you. I don't want people to die but we can't take everyone with us. Even if they did believe us it would be impossible to sneak out with all of them,"

"What if we left in groups?"

"No, it wouldn't work. Don't you think I've thought all this true? Look, I was originally only planning to save myself. I was going to leave this place before I found out about the plans but then I met you and from the first moment I saw you when you spilled coffee on me I knew you were special. I knew I couldn't leave you behind. I'd never forgive myself. I'm already taking a huge risk telling you. I can't keep risking it all to save everyone."

"But there must be a way," Sienna was starting to believe him.

"Look do whatever you want. I already told you we can't take everyone. I'm giving you a choice. Be smart and take it or stay here and die. Just let me know what you decide soon," he said coldly.

"When are you planning to go?" she whispered.

"At the end of this month," he replied.

Sienna stayed quiet for a moment. She was taking it all in. Could all this be true? Or was Tristan the only crazy one here? What would happen if she left with him? Could she trust him? Who was her stalker? Would she get away from the stalker if she left? Could she leave everyone here behind even if she knew what kind of fate they would suffer? No one deserved to die that way. What about Ana, Scar and Parry? Would she really be able to save herself and forget everyone else? Her mind told her to be more selfish but her heart wouldn't let her. There must be something they could do. Maybe warn people before they left. Leave notes to their closest friends at least.