Chapter 44 - The Trial of Lost Sanity (Part Two)

Evan POV

My dad and I walked back into the courtroom. Yaz sat next to her attorney and looked back at me. She smiled and had the nerve to blow me a kiss. What was wrong with her? Did she think she would get away with this? Did she think she held all the get out of jail cards?

Her attorney whispered something in her ear and she looked away. She looked at the jury of majority women and gave them her puppy dog eyes.

"I would like to call my first witness, Brian Sanders to the stand," the defense attorney, Elliot Connors said.

I was trying to figure out who this witness was but I had no clue. My father must have seen me wrecking my brain.

"He was your assistant for years. You two had an altercation when you found out that Kara was his and he was stealing from you. Yaz cheated on you with him."

"You can't be serious?"

"I'm afraid I am son."

I looked back at the guy and somehow I could see a faint resemblance to Kara.

"Does Kara know?"

"No. We have done a pretty good job keeping it away from her but I'm sure one day, it will come out."

"Mr. Sanders do you know Mr. McCain and Ms. Pena?" The defense asked.

"Yes."

"How do you know them?"

"I was Evan's personal assistant and Yaz was his girlfriend."

"How long have you known them?"

"Since Evan started EMR."

I really wished I could remember him. He seemed like a snake in the grass.

"Would you consider yourself and Mr. McCain close?"

"Yes."

"So you witness the altercation between Ms. Pena and Mr. McCain at his home when he raped her?"

"I object! Your Honor there is no evidence to confirm this?"

"Your Honor we have the tape from Mr. McCain's house to prove it."

"Your Honor, I was never told about this tape," the Prosecutor said looking shocked.

"Both attorneys please come to the bench," the Judge said. Both attorneys walked up and they had a discussion. Moments later the video was entered into evidence.

The video showed Yaz running out my house completely naked with Damien my bodyguard forcing her to her car. She was crying and yelling as she got into a car and Damien closed her door. The tape went off and Yaz had tears in her eyes.

I whispered to my dad, "I couldn't have raped her."

"You had sex with her. I know you didn't rape her but you two did have intercourse."

"How do you know that?" I asked as my voice trembled.

"At your birthday party she busted through the house and told everyone including Cadence and you did not deny it."

"Unfucking believable." Who was I? Now I knew why Cadence could have made that statement about the things in my past. I was the one messing over her. I had tried to take advantage of Cadence that night... did my subconscious misplace it's anger like I did with Yaz?

The defense attorney walked up to Brian's seat. "Can you tell me what that was all about? What we saw on the tape?"

"Yaz showed up at Evan's house. He took her to his office and one thing led to another. From the screams coming from the office and seeing Yaz tossed out, I would say he raped her."